add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Madison Area Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board Restaurant Talk › Anyone tried Cilantro? Possible Meetup location?

Anyone tried Cilantro? Possible Meetup location?

user 9230485
Madison, WI
Post #: 5
I love Mexican food, but rarely go to Mexican restaurants as it can be difficult to discern if there is chicken stock, lard, etc, and often the only veg options are a big vat of cheese.

I have been wanting to try Cilantro since they opened, but have passed thus far for the same reasons. I'd be curious if they would want to host a meetup night?
user 14237110
Madison, WI
Post #: 12
I have heard bad reviews of the service and so-so reviews of the food, including from one person who is a Mexican food enthusiast. Of course, I've never been there because I'm one of those folks who cannot tolerate the taste of even their name is a turn-off for me.

It seems to me that most of the Mexican restaurants in Madison are prepared to answer questions about lard and so forth, but I've also found that it's nearly impossible to eat vegetarian there...let alone vegan.

Cactus Ranch on University (a Food Fight restaurant) is one place where you get refried beans and rice without any kind of animal content. Not sure about vegan entrees though.
Brian S
Madison, WI
Post #: 56
I thought their service was ok, menu is iffy. Bit expensive for what it is. Not many veg options but perhaps they could make special menu for us.
A former member
Post #: 5
I ate there Last Friday. Fortunately I had a Groupon. The place is really expensive!

I thought the atmosphere and service were excellent; the food however was nothing special. I expected so much more considering the prices were 2 to 3 times higher than the average Mexican fare here in town.
Brian S
Madison, WI
Post #: 58
$15 groupon for $30 food at Clinatro:­