Action for Animals Austin has organized a rally to protest the new Austin Aquarium. Here's what's known about about Vince and Ammon Covino, owner's of the planned aquarium, so far:
• In a 3-month period this spring, 200 aquatic species died at their Oregon aquarium.
• Ammon was indicted in Florida under federal law in November 2012, for illegally obtaining aquatic species for their aquariums in Oregon and Idaho.
• While out on bond for the above charge, Ammon attempted to illegally purchase 4 nurse sharks from Florida, in violation of state and federal lawThe former vet at their Oregon aquarium has spoken out against the brother's treatment of their aquatic species.
• Neither of the brother's two aquariums in Boise, Idaho and Portland, Oregon are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
• The Covino Brothers have started construction on their aquarium in Austin despite having no building permits from the city's Planning and Development Review Department.
• The Covino Brothers are storing aquatic species at their proposed Austin Aquarium despite having no permits to do so.
Please bring your kids, your family, your friends, and your neighbors. Also bringwater, a hat, sunscreen, an umbrella.
There will be signs available at the rally but you may bring your own. Please keep them simple (like billboards) and with BIG BOLD LETTERS.