addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › Promising Restaurant Opening in Islip

Promising Restaurant Opening in Islip

Michael
user 9534850
Hicksville, NY
Post #: 51
I went there for lunch Friday and enjoyed the meal very much. I had the Green Beans Chicken, a spring Roll, dumplings and a Watermelon Smoothie. The prices are great and the food was delicious. Hope they can hold it together and be able to stay open for a long time to come.

As far as the substitutions, be sure to ask if their lo mein noodles are Vegan if you get that because lo mein is traditionally an egg noodle... just a word to the wise.

Go Vegan! Stay Vegan!
A former member
Post #: 24
My wife and I went to lunch yesterday (Oct'26]. We both enjoyed our lunch. It was a good value. We appreciated the divided tray, keeping different foods separated. One minor quibble: we don't prefer the plastic flatware. Maybe next time we will bring our own stainless flatware. - Tom
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 46
Through a "restaurant owning" friend I know that Suffolk County has HUGE and very expensive requirements for dish and flatware washing that make it VERY difficult for a "small" restaurant to afford. Something like the dishwasher in your kit. is not sufficient even.
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 268
Yes, the non-durable ware at Vege Favor makes me sad.

Karen's right—unfortunately, a business can find it more cost-effective to go the disposable route! It's dreadful that establishments are discouraged from doing what's better for the environment in the long run.

Tom, I love your plan to bring your own utensils. I would bring my own plate, too, and ask them to put the food on that instead of the plastic trays—except that public health regulations forbid them from doing that. sad

I'm guessing they've already gotten lots of feedback about the throwaway ware, because when I visited, and mentioned I was sorry they weren't equipped to offer dine-in customers with durable plates, the young woman behind the counter quickly assured me that they're working on getting plastic that's a recyclable plastic.

Even if that happens, I'll be sorry that a mostly-vegan joint can't have a greener way of serving their food. Sigh...
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 47
While not an answer to the MAIN issue of cheaper to go disposable route, and I know this sounds "flippant" BUT you could learn to eat w'chopsticks instead of plastic ware. I actually carry a couple of these nicely wrapped from take out places in my car, in case I don't have SS available (mine or a restaurants). Made with bamboo, a very eco recyclable material in first place, they also disintegrate in land fill easily! As an aside, and funny story, when I lived in Oregon, the very damp nights and warm climate create a BUMPER crop of slugs, which can MOW DOWN a crop of lettuce overnight. When one puts a few boards in the rows between crops, the slugs congregate under them for the heat of the day. When you go out to garden in morning and flip boards, they are EASY to gather if there is an easy way to "unstick" from underside of board. Of course they leave their "impossible to remove slim" on whatever you use! After a few growing seasons I got VERY talented with the use of chopsticks!!!
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 269
I actually carry a couple of these nicely wrapped from take out places in my car, in case I don't have SS available (mine or a restaurants). Made with bamboo, a very eco recyclable material in first place, they also disintegrate in land fill easily!

Karen, just fyi: one thing I learned while working at the recycling center in Ann Arbor is the surprising fact that landfills are designed to prevent decomposition.

I used to tell myself it wasn't so bad to toss stuff into the wastebasket that I thought would break down, because I thought landfills were like giant compost heaps, where the organic material would break down. Unfortunately, that's not the case. (Also, depending on where folks live, municipal waste may get incinerated before it goes to the landfill.)

But do I remember to bring my own durable chopsticks to Asian restaurants? I must confess: I usually forget! I should take a cue from you, and just keep some with me...
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 49
Land fills don't break down 'cause EVERYTHING encased in plastic. Even my dog P/U and cat litter MUST be in plastic and there for no help for "breakdown". Whole plastic/garbage issue VERY SAD! I mentioned the chop sticks mostly because they made w'VERY renewable resource, not fossil fuel. I also keep them and use in garden for drawing a line to put seeds in, picking slugs ( not the issue as in Or. but LI gardeners know them well!) and they DO breakdown in my compost, so I feel OK about my occasional use when either SS or my durable ones not there!
Mary A.
livingstoned
Lindenhurst, NY
Post #: 16
My husband and I had date night at Vege Favor. It's great for what it is, a glorified, mostly vegan fast food joint. The food was very tasty. my tow constructive criticisms are the dishes are a little watery. They should drain the veggies more b4 adding them to dishes. The other is the amount of plastic used. The small and large plates are heavy plastic, the flat-ware is plastic, the hot cups are styrofoam, the "to go" bags are plastic! You NEED to ask for the chopsticks but they do have them. They DO NOT recycle and i was told you cannot bring your own plates. It must be a Health Dept issue.
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 309
Mary Ann, about all the plastic: I know, and I'm so torn, because I want to promote the food, but I hate generating garbage like that. (As I wrote in the description for the upcoming meetup: "Vege Favor doesn't use durable ware, and I regret that this dampens my enthusiasm for going there.") sad
A former member
Post #: 111
Jennifer, after watching this video about Midway Island, your point of NOT using plastic disposable utensils hits home.... http://www.midwayfilm...­