addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › Hosting a video (vegucated, peaceable kingdom, etc)

Hosting a video (vegucated, peaceable kingdom, etc)

Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 69
Do you suppose that we could we coordinate our group's efforts, receive grant-funding and find corporate sponsorship for hosting educational, documentary video screenings* in central Suffolk country?

The biggest question is venue, of course. Could we approach one of the Westhampton Beach (WHBPAC, Hampton Arts Cinema), Riverhead (Vail-Leavitt, Suffolk Theater) or Patchogue (Performing Arts, Gateway) theater/playhouses? ArtSpace in Patchogue? Airport Playhouse in Bohemia? What about (thinking big!) Holtsville's Island16?

Not a library or a fellowship, not just on public access TV, but a film screening at a venue that would legitimize the message. We're already convinced; now how do we get the message OUT.

Can we make something like this happen?
Hilly

P.S. - A PARTIAL list: vegucated, peaceable kingdom, the witness, the future of food, food inc, etc. Even blue vinyl would be informative.

* With so many films available, personally, I'd love to make it a monthly series!
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 264
Island 16, ooo, I like how you think (big). If you or another VLI member would have the time to contact these venues (probably not hard, with a template message, sent by email to all of the above...), that might help us get started. Any volunteers out there?

And tell me more about what you mean by corporate sponsorship? Do you mean that in addition to a VegFund grant, or did you mean as another option, if a grant isn't obtained?

I looked at VegFund's guidelines (I hadn't seen their screening guidelines until now—glad your post prompted me to check them out!) and they might not fund all the titles on your list, but the first three, definitely.

We might want to be in touch with the Sustainability Institute, too, so as to complement (rather than compete with) their film series.

This is a wonderful idea, Hilly, and although I'm not going to have much time between now & end of January to devote to it (I'm working to finish the food ed curriculum by then), after that I should be able to give it more of my time/energy.
A former member
Post #: 10
This all sounds great. One thought though. Vegan Long Island now has 707 members throughout Nassau and Suffolk. If the series is going to happen in Suffolk County, wouldn't it make sense to have it happen in Western Suffolk, to accommodate both Nassau and Suffolk members? Eastern Suffolk puts it out-of-reach for many people. I would be happy to help, wherever it's located, but first would like to have the question addressed:
"Can this be done in Western Suffolk?"
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 45
I too am interested and eager to "help", though I agree w'the fact needs to be more "center of LI" than some places mentioned. Also agree that Molloy's film series is a GREAT thing, and don't want to "compete". BUT......what concerns me the most is "how to get those "unaware" to these movies. The Sustainability Institutes eves are GREAT, but I look around at the "crowd" and all the movie is doing is "preaching to the choir". I had to use my B'day w'husband as a impetus to get him to come to next week's movie, told him my B'day Present, else he'd never come. The $64,000 is how to get general public to come to such things!!! Yet I'm still ready to HELP!
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 266
Karen, HAPPY BIRTHDAY greetings a day late!!! Thank you for all you do to make this a better world. ♥

All: any reason why we can't conduct more than one series? Say, a 3-month series at a venue out east, then bring the same three films to a venue in Western Suffolk, then to a venue in Nassau?
Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 71
Karen, you have a valid point: I, too, would want to be sensitive about not stepping on toes by competing for attendance with established groups and events.

For example, from north to south along the Nassau/Suffolk Border, (off the top of my head) there's:

Jennifer, your suggestion is valid also: No reason not to have more than one venue. It's a very Loooong Island, indeed.

We might choose to coordinate as group with any or all of these organizations to host new events, or volunteer individually to participate in their existing events.

P.S. - I have to edit to add the fact that the geographical center of Long Island (including the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens) is said to be in the vicinity of Middle Island and/or Yaphank, which are in the Township of Brookhaven.

If we are considering Nassau/Suffolk only, I believe that the central point is in Manorville, in Brookhaven Town (although it is possible that the midpoint is actually in the Township of Riverhead).
A former member
Post #: 12
Hilly and Jennifer,

Thanks for your ideas on how to bring this project further west as well. Your ideas definitely work for me.

Hilly, Jennifer and Karen,

I called Cinama Arts in Huntington and they said their films do not come out every month, but they try for once a month. I also have a call in to Sustainability Institute and Healthy Planet to see if they have a schedule for upcoming events. If we get this information, we can avoid the interfering with other organization, as mentioned above. I’ll keep you posted on what they say.

I volunteer to send a template message, sent by email, to all of the venues mentioned. That would be:

1. Hampton Arts Cinema (West Hampton Beach)
2. Vail-Leavitt, Suffolk Theater (Riverhead)
3. Performing Arts Gateway (Patchogue)
4. ArtSpace (Patchogue)
5. Airport Playhouse (Bohemia)
6. Island 16 (Holtsville)

Regarding Island 16, how big is it? I’m asking because on their website Sustainability Institute says their films usually attract between 75-120 people. We don’t want to be in a venue that’s too huge and our guests feel “lost”.

Back to the email:

What are the important points we want to say to these venues?

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 267
Maryann, thanks for your volunteer energy!
How about this:

Dear Hampton Arts Cinema:

I'm an event organizer for a local, all-volunteer meetup group, Vegan Long Island. We're interested in hosting a film series for our members and the general public, so I'm checking out venue possibilities across Long Island.

Our tentative plan is to offer a once-a-month series for three consecutive months, sometime during 2013.

We have the necessary licensing to screen the following films (DVD format):
Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home
The Witness
Vegucated

Would this be possible at your venue? If so, would you email me your capacity and rental fees, along with any other relevant details? Thank you very much, in advance, for the information.

Sincerely,
Maryann Zappulla
Vegan Long Island event organizer
www.meetup.com/Vegan-Long-Island
A former member
Post #: 13
Awesome Jennifer,
I'll try to get the emails out tomorrow.
Have a great night.
Maryann
A former member
Post #: 21
Jennifer and Group,

I did send those emails out and received two responses; one from Island 16 and one from the Vail-Leavitt Music Hall. Reserving space in these two establishments, will cost:

Island 16 - 200 seat theatre - $1,200 (Mon. - Thurs.)
Vail-Leavitt Music Hall - Fri. Sat or Sun - $600 each; Full weekend $1,200

There is more information, but this is the bottom-line.

Should we get together to discuss? I am planning to be at Whole Foods in Lake Grove on the 19th, if that helps.

Thanks.

Maryann