Vegan Long Island Message Board › Gardien Stuffed Turkey Roast

Gardien Stuffed Turkey Roast

AnneMarie A.
jansel
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 1
Last year I tried the Tofurky Roast and was quite disappointed. This Thanksgiving I tried for the first time "Gardien Stuffed Turkey Roast' and it was delicious! It actually tasted so good I don't want to wait till next year to have it again. And it was interesting, to say the least, to watch the others at my table watching me enjoy my food.
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 279
Lucky you, AnneMarie! I wanted to try the new Gardein product, but the Lake Grove Whole Foods store was sold out of them by the time I finally got over there. Thank you for the review—I hope they restock soon, so I can give it a try, too!

I ended up getting a Trader Joe's roast and a Tofurky roast, to see which would win. I think the Tofurky beats the TJ product for flavor & texture. But Gardein may beat them both. We shall see... smile

I gather from the name that the Gardein Roast comes with stuffing. Does it come with gravy too?
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 52
I have a rain check for this at Fairway (for $10 which is an amazing price) compared to others. Fairway said it never came in and they had advertised it in their flyer. Gardein also has one serving "turkey rolls" that come w'gravy, which I did buy($6) for 2 serv. This worked for me as I was going to a "traditional" meal at Bruce's daughter's and knew I'd be only one not eating Turkey. Don't know if this was same as the 40oz. "roast" but it was quite good. Have to tell you ALL though, if one can afford it, the "fancy French name" made by Field Roast is BY FAR THE BEST of this sort of thing. I bought this last year for Christmas ($25) for 8 servings (no gravy) and again for Easter since Whole Foods had reduced the price to (?, maybe $17) for remaining ones in their freezer left from Christmas. This is %100 seitan wrapped around a hazelnut and squash stuffing all inside a lovely flaky pastry crust. Tastes so much like "the real thing" you MUST have the cranberry sauce w'it. www.fieldroast.com has a lovely home page where you can research their products, all of which contain nothing but ingredients you'd want to eat, but all are based on wheat glutton so won't due for those folks. Also so those who never liked "meat taste" these products may be "to much like the real thing", I tried the "meatloaf" as husband's "fav" food he loved it and I hated it!!! Their sausages are VERY good though for other traditional meals (sausage and peppers to fool G'ma with the Italian) or if you like "hot" they have those. Have not tried the Hot Dogs, but I'm betting they also would be as good
Victor U.
VictorU
Roslyn Heights, NY
Post #: 10
We had the Gardein Holiday Roast and it was great. Even the carni's at the table enjoyed it. Superior to the Tofurky Vegetarian Feast we usually get. Less salty yet quite flavorful, with a lighter texture, and the Gardein stuffing beats Tofurky's hands down.

I bought it at the Jericho WF about two weeks ago but understand they were sold out recently. The GHR comes with gravy but I didn't try it. We already bought the Tofurky gravy and like it a lot.

It's great there are lots of interesting vegan Thanksgiving choices available now. Looking forward to next year...

-V-

Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 53
%100 agree w'Victor Tofurkey gravy is VERY GOOD and does come in a separate container, though it quite pricy, one cup @$4. I did eat gardein's gravy and it was OK.