Vegan Long Island Message Board › Think your "vegan" restaurant food is really vegan? Think again.

Think your "vegan" restaurant food is really vegan? Think again.

Ted B.
user 11538335
Massapequa Park, NY
Post #: 6
If you think restauranteurs are being honest with you, read Operation Pancake:
http://archives.quarr...­

It's a disturbing expose of how far restaurants will go to do less work and protect their profits. The investigation was meticulous and well-documented, and actually got national coverage including winning the “Scandal Breakers of the Year” award from VegNews magazine. It'll change the way you view restaurants forever.

While things may have improved a bit since this post was released, and we can't always infer that what happens in LA is also happening in LI - or in Detroit or Philly or Toronto - it should make us a bit more prudent before we trust what a waiter is telling us.

Best,
Ted
Wendy R.
WendayRainbow
Port Jefferson Station, NY
Post #: 7
This makes mo so sad. We love going to places where we don't have to describe everything that Vegan means. I gladly pay more for it and give good tips.
This is very frustrating, but I always remind myself that I choose to live a vegan life.
Ted B.
user 11538335
Massapequa Park, NY
Post #: 9
Yes, it's things like that that make a vegan cynical. We are still a small minority. Minorities get ignored and exploited all the time. Not all restaurants are liars, though. That's why it's important for us to share our findings openly and have a community.

A vegan attorney friend of mine actually started creating a whistleblower organization to hold restaurants accountable and develop a set of guidelines over what could be labelled as vegan. That was a few years ago - not sure whether it materialized, but I think holding them accountable is a huge step. Drugs had free reign in this country to contain lead or whatever toxins they wanted until the FDA was formed. We should have our own agency for oversight.

Michael
user 9534850
Hicksville, NY
Post #: 53
There used to be a pretty popular spot in Philly that was found to have been duping Vegans for years. Once it came out they were shut down faster than you can say sellout.
anna
user 82016562
Port Jefferson, NY
Post #: 6
Judging by this article the items that seem to be the most problematic are the faux meat and cheese dishes. To play it safe I would say that ordering faux versions of meat based dishes are probably best avoided. The issue of a restaraunt passing off real cheese as vegan is another matter.
Somu A.
user 85502112
West Sayville, NY
Post #: 13
Yes, it's things like that that make a vegan cynical. We are still a small minority. Minorities get ignored and exploited all the time. Not all restaurants are liars, though. That's why it's important for us to share our findings openly and have a community.

A vegan attorney friend of mine actually started creating a whistleblower organization to hold restaurants accountable and develop a set of guidelines over what could be labelled as vegan. That was a few years ago - not sure whether it materialized, but I think holding them accountable is a huge step. Drugs had free reign in this country to contain lead or whatever toxins they wanted until the FDA was formed. We should have our own agency for oversight.

I am in agreement.

Vegan empowerment means eating in restaurant vegan-owned, give our money to other vegan. Sometime restaurant business, owner have one restaurant cater non-vegan, another restaurant cater to vegan. This show that owner is more interested in supporting self with profit than in supporting vegan with vegan food. Cashing in on the trend. Same thing true about organic farming. One farm owner have conventional farm and organic farm. These usually side by side.