addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › further discussion of veganism at NPR's site

further discussion of veganism at NPR's site

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 360
Here's a followup to the piece Dana posted, and what some of us were discussing at dinner tonight...

http://www.npr.org/bl...­
Max K.
user 78154632
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 7
Here's a followup to the piece Dana posted, and what some of us were discussing at dinner tonight...

http://www.npr.org/bl...­

Thanks for the link. I think our discussion and this article has started to influence my perspective, and I'll have to think more about this.
anna
user 82016562
Port Jefferson, NY
Post #: 20
Sometimes these articles annoy me because they try to paint people who want to try to live a different way as extremist nuts. Why is it wrong to decline medication that has something objectionable in it? If you are completely informed and are an adult, you have the right to say no.
I find that even when I try to discuss any facet of a vegan lifestyle, like not eating dairy, I am looked at like Im insane. Any time you go outside of what many people feel is normal you run the risk of being branded an extremist. I think its better to run the risk and be true to your moral compass, besides by eating vegan you probably will greatly decrease your need for medications in the first place.
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 361
Well, I recognize that different people come to these choices for different reasons. In my case, I see veganism primarily as a movement that's addressing one of the great moral issues of our time—our use and abuse of nonhuman animals.

So I want to see the movement grow. That means getting other people to join it. Lots of other people.

I think about the math. If one vegan influences another person to go vegan, BAM, they've just doubled their lifetime impact (in terms of decreasing their economic demand for animal products).

So, for the animals, I want to be as effective as I can. I want to be a successful "salesperson for compassion." smile

Okay, but how does one do it? A lot has been written on this subject for vegan advocates. Here's a recent column that's a great "mini crash-course in sales": http://ccc.farmsanctu...­
anna
user 82016562
Port Jefferson, NY
Post #: 24
good article and great ideas to discuss this issue without getting into a smackdown lol. Guess thats why you run the group Jennifer!