Vegan Long Island Message Board › appreciating animal intelligence: dog-coaching-puppy video

appreciating animal intelligence: dog-coaching-puppy video

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 362
To be honest, I'd usually describe myself as more of a cat person.
But this footage of dog behavior absolutely melted my heart today. smile

Here's the video URL, if you want to share it: http://www.youtube.co...­
Dana
user 39243832
Bellmore, NY
Post #: 14
Oh my gosh, the ending cracked me up. Having been a guardian to both a dog and three cats (and a surrogate mom to 4 kittens), I know their differences well!
Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 89
JENNIFER! From YOU, of all people!

I'm SHOCKED! And laughing. ;)

Jeepers! The interaction between the Dogs is sweet and compassionate, yet between the Cats it's ... awful! And we both like cats, too. I hate slapstick comedy ... so, why am I still laughing?

I am so forwarding this video!
Max K.
user 78154632
Melville, NY
Post #: 8

Here's one I saw recently about an awesome sea lion.
Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 90
Fascinating and adorable. But it'd be wicked cool if they taught her to clap her flippers to along to the music in addition to the head ducking ...
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 367
I guess that video of Ronan, for me, raised a bunch of questions about the whole premise of the pinniped lab.

I wish we had more information about what living in captivity has meant for Ronan. What is her living space like? What is her typical day like? How did she come to be a study subject there?

Obviously the researchers feel that the knowledge being gained from studying these pinnipeds is nontrivial. I'm feeling less sure about that. I'd like to hear why the knowledge to be gained by keeping these pinnipeds in the lab is so important that it outweighs their interests in having _____ or being free from _____ (once we knew the details of their captivity, we could fill in the blanks better).

Maybe their lives aren't so bad, and the knowledge being gained about nonhuman animals will eventually lead to widespread desire among our species for the liberation of other species. Maybe the good that will come, eventually, for all animals is what justifies whatever kind of sacrifice is being made by these individuals. Maybe it's not much of a sacrifice, because for some reason they can't live in the wild anyway? Maybe these are injured individuals who can't be fully rehabilitated?

Is there a difference, ethically, between the relationship between the researchers and these pinnipeds, and the relationship between human guardians and the dogs, cats, and other nonhuman individuals who share their homes?

As I said, lots of questions. More questions than answers.
Hilly
hillyadams
Manorville, NY
Post #: 91
I guess that video of Ronan, for me, raised a bunch of questions about the whole premise of the pinniped lab. ... As I said, lots of questions. More questions than answers.

Acknowledged. The chain link fencing and concrete are grim reminders of this being's captivity. I am one of those people who hope that any animal that has been removed from its natural environment is disabled or unable in some manner. I am aware that that's naive. Animal rights issues are very much at the top of my activism list.

I will say that, IMHO, every time that a study widens the public's belief in and understanding of every animal's intelligence and emotional capacity, the closer that we will come to abolishing the use and abuse of all animals by humans.
Somu A.
user 85502112
West Sayville, NY
Post #: 9
I'm SHOCKED! And laughing. ;)

Jeepers! The interaction between the Dogs is sweet and compassionate, yet between the Cats it's ... awful! And we both like cats, too. I hate slapstick comedy ... so, why am I still laughing?

I am so forwarding this video!

Cruel to push person or animal down stairs. Cruel to laugh at it. Not funny. Disappointed. I expected better from vegans. Worse, this does not help convince non-vegans to go vegan. Non-vegan see hipocracy of vegan. Vegan not a good example to follow. You can do all the proselytizing you want for not be cruel to animals. But non-vegan see actions, of laughing at cruelty and injury, and actions speak louder than words.
Somu A.
user 85502112
West Sayville, NY
Post #: 10
Important distinction, injury happen in dramatic presentation, presentation give cues this is play-acting, so it can be funny, and ok to laugh. But not ok laugh if you see same thing happen in reality, or video recording of real life.
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 85
As a dog & cat lover (multiples of each had free access my bed and rest of living area all my life, AND as a Professional Dog trainer, and having shown my own in Obedience Classes I must comment here. Jennifer's original video VERY truly shows the diff. in the 2 species, and I see NO reason not to laugh, yes dogs are far more altruistic to own kind, being PACK animals, and cats are far less so being solitary animals. As I said, for 50+ years I have been witness to multiples of each living together and ALL Dogs get along w'all other dogs UNLESS one or more are sexually active, ALL dogs and cats will get along together IF (a very big if) humans have removed the cats ability to teach an over enthusiastic pup how to respect it, by removing the claws (imagine the pain YOU would have if ALL your fingers were removed at first knuckle!)! HERE we have a true example of truly being Vegan (you did this to protect your furniture rather than buying a cat post BIG enough and STURDY enough to give the cat a chance to keep his claws from growing into a circle and stabbing him in the foot! (Yes this is EXACTLY what they will do w'out being clipped and/or attended to by cat scratching!!! Thirdly ALL cats will NOT necessarily "get along" w'all other cats!!! BTW, as an "aside" to teach a pup how to do "stairs" a hungry puppy (or adult) assuming 'big enough" to do the athletics involved
will go either up or down if left ALONE to figure it out w'a small piece of cheese on each step! Before anyone get all hot an bothered, most dogs LOVE the interaction of ANY training w'their "person" if person basis training on "rewards" not punishment, and cats just want to be treated like "Queens", as bot sexes are true "Queens"!!!