addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › permaculture workshop in Sayville

permaculture workshop in Sayville

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 365
Jen Kutler sent me this workshop announcement. Folks who have the time/ability to grow more of your own food, I'm cheering you on—and hope to join you, eventually. Maybe next year.

CSAs, backyard (or front yard!) gardens, school gardens, urban gardens, rooftop gardens... hurray for all this food-growing.

About permaculture, which I've seen described as "lazy person's gardening" wink... I asked Jen her take on stock-free growing systems, and she wrote back, "Permaculture is definitely compatible with veganic growing. Domesticated animals are not necessary for a well functioning Permaculture system. In this workshop, we won't be talking much about domesticated animals since they aren't too common in the suburbs. We will talk a bit about providing a desirable habitat for wild animals and beneficial insects in a way that benefits Permaculture food systems."

You can direct any questions to Jen via her meetup profile.

Introduction to Suburban Permaculture Workshop

April 20th, 2013 1pm-3pm

“Permaculture is an ecological design system for sustainability in all aspects of our lives. Permaculture teaches us how build natural homes, grow our own food, restore diminished landscapes and ecosystems, catch rainwater, build communities, take care of waste and much more.”

Learn practical methods for:
• Designing and planting a high yield garden with little human labor in a yard or rooftop using local resources at a very low cost
• Developing food, water and energy security in your community
• Lowering your home energy costs and reducing your dependency on oil
...And other ways that you can really make a difference for yourself and your family through innovative Permaculture designs and implementation

Workshop presented by Jen Kutler, Permaculture Designer
From 1:00 to 3:00 pm $10
at The New Light Sanctuary
299-16 Raft Ave, Sayville
A former member
Post #: 11
Jen Kutler... wrote back, "Permaculture is definitely compatible with veganic growing. Domesticated animals are not necessary for a well functioning Permaculture system. In this workshop, we won't be talking much about domesticated animals since they aren't too common in the suburbs... "

“Permaculture ... teaches us how... take care of waste and much more.”

I don't see why permaculture cannot be done veganically but I think Jen may not know. Clearly Jen not know what are "domesticated animals." Dog and cat are domesticated animals and everyone know they are many in suburb. Jen not know that, so not sure I trust her when she say she know permaculture compatible with veganic gardening. Perhaps she is thinking of farm animals, not domestic animal. Farm animal only one kind domestic animal. Waste from dog and cat fed meat not safe to use in garden, according to all expert in agricultural science. Only safe use waste from herbivorous animal. For garden be vegan, one not to put waste from ANY kind animal in soil. Not buy it, not collect it, not put it, vegan allow only small amount from wild animal occurs naturally without human collecting and placing.

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 384

Perhaps she is thinking of farm animals, not domestic animal.

Somu, yes, I'm sure that when Jen wrote "domesticated animals...aren't too common in the suburbs" she was referring to domesticated farm animals.