Vegan Long Island Message Board › What do you do? (plug your business here)

What do you do? (plug your business here)

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 32
I'll start! First, I want to share this resource for career guidance. If you're a young adult just starting out and eager to make a difference, definitely check out the advice at 80,000 Hours.

As for me, at one point I was seriously considering the certificate program in Humane Education. If there are any folks out there doing Humane Education, or considering the field, drop me a line--I'll be cheering you on.

2011-12, I had a stint working for the Humane Society of the United States with Dr. Michael Greger (I helped launch his website, NutritionFacts.org).­ I also volunteered for Dr. Melanie Joy, author of Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism.

Another organization I love to help is the Coalition for Healthy School Food, run by my dear friend (and the catalyst for me going vegan) Amie Hamlin. Please check it out and support CHSF if you can! They played a key role in getting the first non-charter public school in the U.S. to go 100% meat-free with their cafeteria food service in 2013.

I've written a free, online food education curriculum called Demonstrating Our Values through Eating (DOVE) which you can bring to your own community.

I'm also available as a Food For Life course instructor. Food For Life is a program that teaches about the power of food for health, developed by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

Since 2013, I've been working with Melanie Joy's organization, Beyond Carnism (formerly Carnism Awareness & Action Network). By pulling back the curtain on carnism, we can help hasten systemic change—so please watch her TEDx video on carnism and visit the Beyond Carnism website, www.beyondcarnism.org­, to learn more.

And in 2014, I became an Area Director for Get Waisted, a new program to support healthy eating and weight loss that's like Weight Watchers, but it promotes 100% plant-based eating. It's being marketed to the general public. (So tell your not-yet-vegan friends about it!)

In 2014, I also started volunteering with Citizens' Climate Lobby. CCL is a smart, effective organization that's working to get a Revenue-Neutral Carbon Fee & Dividend passed in Congress. I can't say enough good things about the people who are involved with this group—they are superheroes, every one. I feel more hopeful now that we really can restore the climate of the 1980's by 2070.
Chris M.
stripes70
Forest Hills, NY
Post #: 1
I teach sociology at Suffolk County Community College's Eastern Campus, in Riverhead. I've been there for over a year, having moved here from down South.
Bob D.
user 8378662
Huntington, NY
I am one of the founders, President & Executive Director of the non-profit organization, HealthyPlanet. ( www.healthy-planet.org )

HealthyPlanet is here to give a voice to everybody who understands the impact that our personal dietary and lifestyle choices have on our own bodies, the environment and all life on Earth. If that includes you, it's important that you know we're here. As I've spoken to Jennifer about recently, the more we all work together, the more we're able to have a larger voice in the world. The doors are open to the powerful information that we are well-versed in speaking about. It's up to us to walk through those doors. And that's what I do, with the help of many amazing friends/volunteers!

In addition to helping to pull together our regular events/dinner/lectures, (where we have had many of the biggest speakers come to us here on LI), I work on our Healthy School Lunch Program where I coach parents and do presentations to parents, wellness committees and students. I've worked with parents administrators in dozens of schools across Long Island.

I also do a non-commercial radio program out of Stony Brook that covers all our issues. It's one or two Fridays per month at 6-7 PM, on 90.1. FM. (The schedule is usually on our website.) And... I work with the Suffolk County Cancer Awareness Task Force where I co-chair the committee on Prevention and Education. My role is to stress the incredible power that diet and exercise play in preventing a significant number of cancer casese on LI. (This is very exciting work!)

Finally, I'm involved in many energy-education groups. One of them that was formed recently is the Long Island Climate Action Network. Working with several other key environmentalists, I was responsible for putting together the main presentation materials. These were given to the many other educators who we trained to go out and spread the word. (As you can probably guess, these contained key information about how our food/lifestyle choices impact the environment.)

There's a lot more, of course. So since this forum is partially for soliciting business connections... I'll just reiterate that we are only limited in our ability to get this important info to individuals, policy-makers and the world, by how limited our like-minded community believes we are. If you have a talent you'd like to add to our volunteer team, let me know. I say humbly, that we have been doing amazing work on LI for almost 20 years. I'll also say that with another 5 committed, able and motivated volunteers, we could double our outreach.

One more thing... we're looking for some web development help right now. If you can work with Dreamweaver, and have a few hours a month, we've got some exciting things planned.

A beautiful day to all of you!!!

A former member
Post #: 86
Hello Everyone,

I am the owner of Cafe Mista: Vegan Delights as well as the original organizer of the Long Island Vegan Community - Worth the Wait - I gave it over to another organizer when business started to pick up and then that group joined with this current group! I love watching my baby grow!!

I recently hired an assistant which gives me more time to hold events and other vegan awareness meet ups. With Jennifer's permission, I am posting the link for the new meet up and hope that everyone will become a member and join us for some great events!

http://www.meetup.com...­

or feel free to email me at cafemista@yahoo.com with subject Mailing List and I will add you on to our weekly newsletter!

With Gratitude,

Christine Santos
www.cafemista.com
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi guys!

I work from home for selling electronic component parts on the phone. I worked for a big catalog distributor for ten years and now I am with a small company and love the small business environment. If you need parts give me a call.

Keith Liblick
516-821-0032 (work)
www.ackerman-usa.com
katherine
user 9518648
Eastport, NY
Post #: 2
Hello!
I graduated last year from Clayton College of Natural Health earning a degree as a Natural Health Doctor. As a Natural Health Consultant, I am able to work with people in the following fields: Aromatherapy, Herbology, Nutrition, Homeopathy, Iridology, and Ayurveda.
A former member
Hello--I just joined this group. I live on the east end of Long Island (East Quogue---anyone out this way???) I teach raw foods classes and vegan cooking techniques out of my home and with clients at their homes. This is a fairly new business venture for me and I am looking forward to meeting some of the members in this group!

My website is www.GetSomeZen.com

I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think!

Jessica R.
NavaJess
Melville, NY
Just joined today!

I recently moved back to my hometown of Huntington. I am a certified health coach, yoga teacher, and personal trainer. Second career for me. I was a veterinarian for 13 years and I'm currently back in school to become a Registered Dietician.

As a health coach, I specialize in helping people transition to a vegan diet. All programs are open to anyone looking for a new way to approach health and wellness. I am looking for places to give workshops on veganism and other health and wellness topics. If you are interested please contact my email or you can message me on Facebook as well:)

Looking forward to getting involved in the community!! Thank you!!

Jessica

www.navalightnow.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nava-Light-Health-and-Wellness-Jessica-Roberts/171367072891106?bookmark_t=page
Ramona
West Hempstead, NY
Post #: 59
My name is Ramona Cadogan. I am a vegan athlete who does Olympic Lifting at Lost Battalion Hall in Queens. I plan to compete next year and make it to the nationals for my age group. I am promoting my vegan/non vegan personal training for all. I want to provide my services to vegan and non vegan families. I have been off meet since 2000. My personal training consists of weight training, kettlebells, hula hooping, pilates, aerobics from kids to the elderly. I am available in person or online at http://www.trainer.ly...­ . I am on vegan bodybuilding sites like http://www.veganbodyb...­ and http://www.veganbodyb...­. Also I provide people with a fitness program on how they can gain muscle and be fit as a vegan athlete. Also I am educator that is building a tutoring business for homeschooling or private tutoring. My site is www.academictutor.weebly.com . Also I am a raw vegan chef and will be having a raw vegan class on holiday dishes at Organic Corner in Massapequa on December 14 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. $40 is the fee and $20 by Dec 10 to hold a spot. My site is www.fitveganchef.weebly.com . My overall page is www.facebook.com/academictutorfitnessraw­livingprofessional and I hope to connect with you all !
Gary S.
user 26426062
Melville, NY
Gary Silberman here. I work as a Senior Loan Officer for Mortgage Enterprise, Ltd., and I am a licensed Real Estate Agent for RealtyConnectUSA. If you or someone you know is looking to purchase or is selling a home give me a call. And if you or someone you know needs a purchase mortgage, refinance, reverse mortgage or commercial loan please contact me. I am here to help. Call 347-645-8134 or gsilberman@realtyconnectusa.com
Btw...I have been vegetarian for 16 years and vegan for 9.