"Vegan Life Colorado" Our MeetUp Message Board Recipes! Plant-based › Recipes from Tiffany and Sean's Holiday Potluck (hit reply and add your recipe)

Recipes from Tiffany and Sean's Holiday Potluck (hit reply and add your recipe)

Ann Swissdorf
vegann
Denver, CO
Post #: 465
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Daiya Mac and Cheese

I’ve made many a vegan mac ‘n’ cheese over the years, even some great ones, but they are complicated affairs using many ingredients to achieve an acceptable flavor. Traditionally making home made macaroni and cheese is very simple, essential a bachamel sauce (milk gravy) with cheese added. After discovering Daiya cheese, I decided to try a traditonal recipie. It turned out wonderfully, perhaps even the best vegan mac I have ever had. For this batch I used cheddar flavor Daiya for the sauce and “Italian Blend” for the top. While the texture and melting of Daiya is excellent, the flavor is mild (although excellent), so in the future I may experiment with adding other vegan cheeses or other ingredients to give it a sharper flavor.
Daiya Mac ‘n’ Cheese

1 lb macaroni (I use Tinkyada brown rice elbows macaroni)
1 Tbsp Earth Balance or other vegan butter
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
salt and pepper
2 cups Daiya shreds, plus 1/2 cup for the top
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni until it is just a little under done (should still be a little chewy) drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt Earth Balance over medium high heat. Stir in flour to make a roue. Stir in milk and whisk to incorporate and cook until mixture begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of Daiya and cook, stirring, until melted. Remove from heat and add macaroni, stirring to coat pasta well. Pour into a 2 quart baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup Daiya cheese. Toss bread crumbs with olive oil and paprika and spread evenly over the macaroni. Bake for about 30 min until bread crumbs are nicely browned. Remove from oven and let cool for about five min before serving.
Julie
user 8620284
Littleton, CO
Post #: 11
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Ann - we all want your Chocolate Pie recipe, too smile

Here's mine for BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. Vegan margarine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 large Butternut Squash
1 can pears with juice
2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp. coriander, ground
1-2 cups non-dairy creamer, according to taste

Peel and seed squash, cut into 1" cubes.
Saute and stir onion in 4 Qt. Dutch Oven until tender. Stir in broth, squash, pears, thyme, salt, pepper, and coriander. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer, until squash is tender, 10 to 15 min.

Pour half the soup into blender, cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup, return to heat, stirring frequently until hot. (I use an immersion stick blender and it’s super easy) Add the creamer and blend it until it's incorporated into the soup.

If you like your soup to be chunky, don't process all the butternut squash. Reserve some of the chunks of it and add it in after you've blended the rest of the ingredients together.

This is a crowd pleaser since someone always asks for the recipe!