"Vegan Life Colorado" Our MeetUp Message Board Recipes! Plant-based › Recipes from Potluck May 6th, 2012

Recipes from Potluck May 6th, 2012

Kimito S.
user 17571601
Longmont, CO
Post #: 2
I was in a hurry so I can't remember the exact amounts. Sorry.

Stir-fried Fried Tofu with Shiitake, Trumpet Mushrooms, and Bok Choy in Black Bean Sauce

Ingredients:
1 block of firm tofu (or optional pre-fried tofu). I made my own but I won't cover that on this thread.
corn starch
Veg Oil or your favorite frying oil.
6 plump Shiitake Mushrooms
2 large Trumpet Mushrooms
3 Shanghai Bok Choy (or baby Bok Choy)
Black Bean with Garlic Sauce (comes in jar)
Soy Sauce
Veg Stock
Sugar (or agave, etc.)
4 Garlic Cloves
1 inch chunk of Ginger
3 Green Onions

Start by pressing the Tofu to prepare for frying. Put into a bowl big enough to cover, then fill with cold water and enough salt that you can taste it strong. Let it set for 15-20min. Drain, wash, then put on a plate with something flat and heavy. I used a square Tupperware a little bigger than the tofu filled with water. Let it press until you can see substantial amount of water on the plate (about 45min). Cut into 1-2" cubes. Dip in corn starch, the deep fry & drain. I used a little soy milk to wet it but tofu is pretty moist already so maybe you don't need it. Also the trick is to get the oil temp very high so that it can brown. They will float once they are cooked. Then you watch it turn the brown color that is appealing to you. If you are lazy or in a hurry, you can buy pre-fried tofu at your favorite Asian market too. The reason for the fried tofu is that the fried tofu holds up to the stir frying and also helps soak the taste and flavor of the sauce.

Slice the Trumpet Mushrooms. They are big so slice them to fit your mouth comfortably. Quarter the Shiitake Mushrooms. I like the plump ones that you can get at the Asian markets. Re-hydrated skinny ones are OK, if you can't get the fresh plump ones. The re-hydrated ones will need the stems cut off since it would be hard to cut those. You may also want to add more since they would be smaller.

Slice the Bok Choy. I like to first cut them in half, then I wash from the inside. This seems to get the dirt out the best. Then cut the halves into quarters. Then, I take each quarter and slice them. You'll get strips of Bok Choy that will cook easily and quickly.

Chop Garlic into mince, and grate the Ginger and mix together. Chop Green Onion finely but keep for last sequence.

Mix about 1 tbspn of corn starch into a bowel of 3 tbspn of cold water. Mix throughly.

In a Wok, heat oil (about 3-4 tbspn). When starting to smoke, add the Garlic & Ginger mix. Toss around until fragrant. Throw in the mushrooms & Bok Choy. Really start to toss and mix. A big Wok Spoon helps here. Before Bok Choy welts, put in veg stock, Black Bean sauce, Soy Sauce, & sugar. Mix well and adjust to taste. There should be enough visible liquid. If not add more veg stock. Then check taste. If you want more kick, add Black Bean sauce. More salty, add Soy Sauce. More sweet, sugar, etc. If you like spicy, you can also add some Chili sauce (like chinese chili & garlic sauce or Siracha). Pour while mixing, the liquid starch, and watch it thicken. If you want the liquid a bit more thick, make and add more starch liquid. Finally, add the fried tofu and green onions. Toss for a minute, then ready to serve. Best eaten hot.

Teriyaki Okara Wings
This we made the night before as Okara patties. Then we took the left overs and sliced, deep fried, and sauced it with the teri sauce.

Okara. This is the left over from the soymilk making process. Not sure where you can buy them here. Perhaps check out Denver Tofu, or White Wave, or Asian markets.
Wheat Gluten
Small can of tomato paste.
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt
Sage

Mix together the ingredients. I think the amounts were, 3 cups of Okara, 2 cups of gluten, 6oz paste. Add enough water to make a dough and mix well. Taste and adjust for salt. Form into patties and bake at 400F for 45 mins. When cool enough to touch, slice into finger size slices. Deep fry at high heat. Don't wait for them to float. It would have burned if you do that. Fry until it just barely gets burns on the edges.

Teri Sauce:
This sauce is good on various things. My kids use to just pour over rice and eat!
Adjust the ratio to your needs:

1 cup of Soy Sauce
1/2 cup of sugar or effective substitute
Garlic - 4 cloves minced
Ginger - 1-2 inch chunk grated
Corn Starch
Olive Oil

In a small bowl, mix about 2 table spoon of corn starch with 3 table spoons of cold water.
In a small sauce pan, heat oil, then fry Garlic and Ginger until fragrant.
Carefully add Soy Sauce (it may splatter if the oil is too hot), then sugar. Mix well.
Adjust the taste. If you like it sweeter, then add more sweetener. Pineapple juice may also be nice.
When the sauce starts to boil, add the corn starch slowly while mixing. Once the sauce thickens, its ready.

What you don't use can be stored in a tight lid container. It should keep for at least 1 week.

Enjoy!!

Julie
user 8620284
Littleton, CO
Post #: 14
Thank you SO much for posting this Kimito!! Now, I MUST find a place to buy Okara. Anyone out there have any suggestions?? This recipe was so delicious, I want to make it now!
Beth Ann S.
user 13116534
Denver, CO
Post #: 6
I bet H-Mart at 2751 S. Parker Rd. has it. It is a ginormous Asian market. My mother-in-law loves going there and we always come home with all sorts of obscure (to us) veggies and fruits!