"Vegan Life Colorado" Our MeetUp Message Board Recipes! Plant-based/Vegan › Holiday Cookie Exchange & Soup Recipes 12-2012

Holiday Cookie Exchange & Soup Recipes 12-2012

Julie
user 8620284
Littleton, CO
Post #: 17
We had such a great time hosting the annual cookie exchange! It's getting better and better each year!! We're hoping everyone will be kind enough to share their recipes here so we can enjoy the goodies throughout the year. (I'm particularly looking for that cranberry lace cookie recipe!) I promised to post the soup recipes, too so here you go:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND PEAR SOUP

1 Large onion, medium chopped
4 Tbsp. margarine
8 cups vegetable broth
2 large Butternut Squash, peeled, cubed, and roasted
Large can (approx 40 oz) of peeled pears with juice
2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. coriander, ground
1-2 cups non-dairy creamer (I used soy creamer, add according to your taste)

Peel and seed squash, cut into 1" cubes, roast them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cook and stir onion in 4 Qt. Dutch Oven until tender. Stir in broth, squash, pears, thyme, salt, pepper, and coriander. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer, 10 to 15 min.

Pour half the soup into blender, cover and process until smooth. Return to pot and simmer, stirring frequently until hot. (I use an immersion stick blender and I leave a lot of the squash cubes whole so the soup has some chunks in it)

SPICY SWEET POTATO & BLACK BEAN SOUP

2 TBSP canola oil
1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large or 2 medium green or red peppers, chopped
4-5 carrots, chopped
1 large (approx. 30 oz) can sweet potatoes
1 reg (approx. 15 oz) can corn
1 reg (approx. 15 oz) can diced tomatoes - I use the can of tomotoes with basil & oregano
1 reg (approx. 15 oz) can black beans
2 cups vegetable broth
½ - 1 tsp pepper, to taste
½ - 1 tsp salt, to taste
¼ tsp cayenne, to taste

Heat oil in Dutch oven size pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper and carrot and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender. Stir in cut up, canned sweet potato and corn and tomatoes and black beans with juice from cans (don’t drain the canned vegetables, use the juice in the soup).

Stir in broth, salt, pepper and cayenne. Heat to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or so.

FRENCH GREEN LENTIL SOUP (From Roberto Martin's recipe book Vegan Cooking for Carnivores)

1 TBSP high heat oil, such as safflower or grapeseed oil
1 large yellow onion, diced small
5 6" celery stalks, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dried French green lentils, rinsed
1/2 tsp dried or fresh thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
6 cups broth made from Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base or Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
1 large white or Yukon Gold potato, scrubbed and diced medium
Kosher salt and freshly group black pepper

Heat a large soup pot or small stockpot over high heat, add the oil, and wait until it shimmers. Add the onion and celery and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Sir in the lentils, herbs, and broth.

Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook, covered, for 35 minutes, or until the lentils are almost fully cooked.

Add the potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add a bit of water, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 6

Kelly baked and brought some GREAT oatmeal craisin lace cookies. She shared her secret - she found the recipe for them on this wonderful blog, check it out at:
http://girlwhobakes.b...­

Ann S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 527
Chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Blondies

3/4 c raw sugar (turbinado) or natural sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c coconut oil or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, melted and cooled
1 c *hemp milk, soy milk, almond milk or rice milk (room temp)
1/2 c coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c nondairy semisweet **chocolate chips
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, organic

2 c Whole Wheat flour, organic
1 c hi-gluten flour, organic
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, non-aluminum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl mix sugars and melted oil.  Whisk in hemp milk, coconut milk and vanilla.  Stir in chips and coconut.  In a medium mixing bowl mix flours, baking powder, soda and salt.  Add flour mixture to liquid mixture and stir with a large spoon until blended.  Spray the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking pan with non stick cooking oil spray.  Spoon batter into oiled pan and spread evenly.  Bake on center rack 25 to 30 minutes until top is lightly browned.  If using a dark nonstick pan, you might want to move up the rack 1 level and check at 25 minutes.  Cool and cut into squares.  Store squares in an airtight container.

*Hemp milk is wonderful to bake with (especially biscuits and corn bread).  It makes baked goods rise and bind well.  I recommend Pacific Naturals brand.
**There are several brands that make nondairy chocolate chips.  I like all I have tried, but the Enjoy Life are mini chips that distribute in baked goods better than the big ones.  If you can find them or order them online, try Enjoy Life brand Chocolate chips; www.enjoylifefoods.com.  Otherwise, there are several brands of large sized non dairy chips on the market.  Some companies make both dairy and non dairy chips, so you’ll have to read labels.
Ann S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 528
Sugar Cookies - Vegan

{I didn't make these for this event, but since it's the holidays, followed by Valentine's Day in almost 2 months, these are fun for cutting into shapes and decorating}

3/4 c. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks Margarine, soften to room temp
1 c. raw Sugar (Turbinado) or natural sugar
3 Tbsp. Arrowroot or Cornstarch (arrowroot is more like egg, but cornstarch works)
1/3 c. Soy or Hemp Milk (rice or almond milk work, but the thicker milks are best)
1 tsp. Vanilla or 1/4 tsp. vanilla powder or 1/2 tsp. Lemon Extract
2 1/2 c. unbleached white Flour, or 1 1/2 c. white and 1 c whole wheat Flour
1 tsp. non-aluminum Baking Powder
Mix margarine, sugar, arrowroot, soy milk and flavoring. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured, cloth-covered cutting board. Cut into desired shapes. Place on a room temp cookie sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes or until very light brown.
Jules
user 32636972
Broomfield, CO
Post #: 1
Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies
1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (equivalent of 1 egg)
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (175 g) nondairy chocolate chips
(semisweet chips are a good choice)

PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or use 2 non­ stick cookie/baking sheets.

In the small bowl of a food processor or by hand, whip together the egg replacer powder and water, until it's thick and creamy. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugars together by hand or with an electric hand mixer at high speed. Beat in the egg re­ placer mixture and the vanilla and peppermint extracts.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture along with the chocolate chips. Stir well until combined, but do not overstir.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the cookies from the sheet immediately after baking and cool on a wire rack.