addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VegasHikers Message Board Hiking and Outdoors Related Discussion › Anybody heard of "Oliver Ranch"?

Anybody heard of "Oliver Ranch"?

Alan G.
CoachAlan
Group Organizer
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 319
I was reading Red Rock's Draft Business Plan, and it mentions that they're planning to build a science school at Oliver Ranch. Apparently, money has already been appropriated to build this school.

I did some Googling, and the only information I could find on Oliver Ranch aside from the plans for a school is that it was purchased by Red Rock in 1993, and that wild horses are kept there. Does anybody else know about Oliver Ranch? Where is it?

- Alan
Brett R.
briddle
Boulder City, NV
Post #: 11
Oliver Ranch is a couple of miles up the road from Blue Diamond (but before Bonnie Springs or Spring Mountain Ranch). It has previously been (and I do not know the current incarnation) a joint project between BLM, UNLV, Clark County, Outside Las Vegas, etc.) using SNPLMA funding to develop an educational resource for K-12 (at one point targeting fifth grade students but again might not be true anymore).

As an aside, this is (or at least was before the economy tanked) one of the few progressive attempts I have seen in southern Nevada to try to integrate biodiversity and conservation into the educational curriculum. We need a lot more of this kind of thinking in this part of the world! Cheers, Brett
A former member
Post #: 1
yeah, the ranch is 7 miles past the RR entrance if your coming in on Charleston...

I've done some volunteer work there... in fact I'll be there Saturday the 19th to continue the work.

not sure the exact plans right now but I'll try to get more information from the BLM this weekend and post up again