Make sure you bring your park pass (if you have one).
I plan to be out of the park before it gets dark, but bring a flashlight or headlamp just in case.
Sandstone Quarry is one of the most popular places in the park. It's about 3 miles in along the 13-mile loop. From here you can reach the popular Calico Tanks trail and Turtlehead Peak. The area has a lot of low level rocks that gradually sweep up to higher elevations. It's a perfect area to play on the rocks and develop scrambling skills.
We'll go through some slots, hop over some bathtubs, play around on the rocks, visit a couple of small caves and hang out at the sandstone arch. We will also do a little climbing to get some views of the park.
This hike is good for scrambling beginners. It does not require any special techniques. Along the hike we'll go over some basic skills that you can use on more difficult hikes. There are also areas that can be used to improve the skills you already have. But you must be in good enough condition to walk a couple of miles.
We'll meet at the South Tower Park and then carpool to the trail head. South Tower Park is at the the intersection of Vista Center and Vista Park. To get there go west on Charleston from 215 towards Red Rock. Turn right on Vista Center and stay to the right. Then turn right onto Vista Park and a quick left into South Tower Park. There are restrooms and water fountains at the park.
Distance: ~ 1.5 miles
Elevation gain: ~ 100 feet
High point: 4400 feet
Low point: 4300 feet
Pace: ~ 1 Mile Per Hour or less.
Children: only children who are able to climb.
Time: 2 hours max.
Bring: At least one liter of water. Snacks.
Please note the following:
• Please be aware that your Meetup organizers are not tour guides and are not park rangers.
• Expect the same risks and take the same precautions you would take if you were hiking alone. You are solely responsible for your own safety and well-being.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that hiking and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death. The organizers of this group and current and former members can not be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant - including you - at any event.
• All attendees participate at an event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury to themselves or their guests.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer, and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.