I was introduced to this canyon a long time ago by a friend who said it was his favorite little place that very few people visited. He was right. The canyon connects to a long slot that I've been calling imagination trench. We'll stop at the sandstone arch in the Quarry and then we'll continue over the arch and through more slots as we wind our way over the rocks and back around.
There are some tight areas along the way, so be prepared to remove your pack. Also be aware that some of this area has a lot of brush that will scratch and poke you. If that bothers you, then you should wear protective clothing. There is not much exposure on this hike. This hike is almost entirely rock scrambling using hands.
This hike is not for beginners. There are many places that require intermediate scrambling skills. You must be able to pull your body weight up and lower yourself down using your arms. If you have a fear of tight spaces or heights, don't sign up for this hike. See the list of Pre-requisite hikes to determine if you are up to this hike.
If I don't know you or if I can't determine your experience from your profile, then don't be offended if I require you to detail your scrambling experience.
No guests on this hike without my prior approval. Send email for guest requests.
We'll meet at the South Tower Park and then carpool to the trail head. South Tower Park is at the the intersection of Vista Center and Vista Park. To get there go west on Charleston towards the park. Turn right on Vista Center and stay to the right. Then turn right onto Vista Park and a quick left into South Tower Park. There are restrooms and water fountains at the park.
Distance: ~ 3 miles
Elevation gain: ~ 800 feet
High point: 4640 feet
Low point: 4300 feet
Pace: ~ 1 Mile Per Hour or less.
Time: 4 hours max.
Bring: At least two liters of water. Snacks.
Kraft Mt. Loop
Red Springs Peak Loop
Up and Over Calico I
-anything comparable or more difficult will be fine.
• Please be aware that your Meetup organizers are not tour guides and are not park rangers.
• Expect the same risks and take the same precautions you would take if you were hiking alone. You are solely responsible for your own safety and well-being.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that hiking and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death.
• The organizers of this group and current and former members can not be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant - including you - at any event. All attendees participate at an event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury to themselves or their guests.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer, and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.