addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Ventura Area Makers/Builders/Hackers Message Board › Brainstorming a name for this organization.

Brainstorming a name for this organization.

Paul B.
user 9525564
Group Organizer
Ventura, CA
Post #: 3
The name of this Meetup group is very generic and catch-all, with the specific reason of casting a broad net to catch anyone remotely interested. Now that we're gaining some steam, start thinking about names for this organization. Once we have some ideas we can put a poll together here on meetup.com and vote on it.

I suggest people look at http://hackerspaces.o...­ to get an idea of things groups are calling their organizations. Some places go straight forward and explanatory like 'SB Hackerspace', or 'LA Makerspace', while others go more off the wall like 'Noisebridge', 'NYC Transistor', 'TheClubHou.se', and so on...

Get creative, post your ideas here, or write them down and we'll talk about this topic at an upcoming meeting.

Misty
user 92450532
Arlington, MA
Post #: 1
Here are some names from our Meetup this Saturday . . .
Team Rocket, Cyber Rocket
Hackmate, H-ACME, HACME, Hackit
Crashland
Smash Rocket
Change room
Shack Space, Slacker Space
Critical Stuff
Squid Kids
Bhackyard Builders
Roy P.
user 25596072
Oxnard, CA
Post #: 1
Because I am located and am hoping for an Oxnard location...I propose something like OXMAKE, OXHACK, OXSPACE, OXTECH...XSPACE, XTECH...
While the Santa Barbara Hacker Space has the url: http://sbhackerspace....­ they call themselves SBHX - maybe because finding a 4 letter domain name is almost impossible.
Caesar
user 41993862
Ventura, CA
Post #: 2
Talking with Misty at the Marina Fest yesterday, we thought up names that are not geographically specific but have a tie-in with the local community. Zócalo, after the public square in Mexico City (also the commercial center on Babylon 5) and La Fábrica (Spanish for "The Factory").

I also found out that HACME Bank is McAfee's deliberately unsecure website used as a training environment to teach developers about online security. Would have been a cool name though. :/
Paul B.
user 9525564
Group Organizer
Ventura, CA
Post #: 6
What do you guys think of the name 'Makery'. Kind of like 'Bakery' A Baker is a person who works at a bakery and a Maker is a person who works at a Makery.
Terry Q.
user 95679952
Ventura, CA
Post #: 2
I like Makery, or Makery 101.