addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ventura Area Makers/Builders/Hackers Message Board › Notes from Meetup on July 20, 2013

Notes from Meetup on July 20, 2013

Paul B.
user 9525564
Group Organizer
Ventura, CA
Post #: 5
Hi all,
In our meeting on July 20 we discussed the latest step in getting to our permanent space and that is setting up regularly scheduled meetings. We have been asked by Ventura County Library to collaborate with them to host a 'Pop-up Makerspace' at E.P. Foster Library in the Topping Room. This will be a great step in setting an established meeting time. For the first while there may be some minor variations in the schedule as there are some cases where the room is already booked, however, as time goes on, this will be less frequent.
One of the major topics of discussion at this meeting on the 20th was the format of our PopUp Makerspace. We discussed the desire to have it be a space for innovation and a space where people are encouraged to continue making even after they leave the makerspace rather than a place where people come in, participate in a prescribed activity and leave, not thinking about it again till the next meeting they can attend. We also want to do what we can to encourage people to collaborate on projects. The
Another large topic of this meeting was the revisiting of the unique needs of "Projects" and "Organization". It is becoming more and more obvious that we need to have a separation of function in our meetings so that every meeting does not end up as a discussion of what we want to do.

The Solution: Going forward All meetings will be designated as a "Project Meeting" or an "Organizational Meeting" this way it is clear what the topic of the meeting will be and all members can decide whether to attend based on that. It needs to be very clear that neither meeting type is more important than the other. Both aspects of these different types are vital to make this venture a success. I think it would probably be best to think of the 'Organizational Meeting" as an ongoing project of our makerspace.

One question that came up during this meeting was "What can I do / How can I help with the Pop-Up Makerspace?" This is what we came up with. Come to the MakerSpace with a project. It would be ideal for some people to come with projects they want to work on their own and some who are happy to have new people who show up to join in with them to work on the project. There will be some resources available if someone comes without a project and wants to do something different from all the other things going on.

There are a few challenges that we will have to adapt to in this space which is a limitation of activities ( for example... we will not be welding in the Topping Room! ) and availability of resources ( any resources, i.e. tools, materials, etc. will need to be brought into the space each time we meet. ). However, I have met lots of the people of this group and I know that we are all an innovative and resourcefull bunch, so I don't expect these to be much of a problem.

There was so much great discussion at this meeting I know I missed something. Please fill in any details I forgot.

Keep an eye out for a new "Project Meeting" and "Organizational Meeting" on the calendar in the next day or two.

-Paul