Victoria Creative Writing Group Message Board › Info Needed on Creating/Publishing Ebooks

Info Needed on Creating/Publishing Ebooks

Cassie H.
user 5093255
Victoria, BC
Post #: 5
Hi!

I'm putting this out to you all, because I figured there has to be at least one among you who has some experience with creating and publishing ebooks. I'm hoping to put out an ebook as a way of "getting my name out" before I finish/submit my main project. I work in Word. I have extremely limited funds, so the software needed and the process involved have to be free or extremely cheap. So.... the first thing:

1/ What is a good free or cheap (easy to use is good too) software that will allow me to convert my Word files to ebook format?
2/ What's a good ebook publisher for a short non-fiction how-to that may possibly become a series?

Any help is incredibly appreciated. I'm totally clueless here.
Peter T
user 26151362
Group Organizer
Victoria, BC
Post #: 56
Astra's probably the best person to talk to about this. She was going to give a talk on this topic but has had to delay until 28-Jul.

With regards to question 1, I have found that some ebook readers will read PDF files. I used to save my own work to PDF and read it on a Sony Reader (the PRS-505). The trick for best clarity was to get the right page layout: size = 8.81cm x 11.53cm, margins = 0.51cm (1.02cm for the top). I also found the native font for that reader was "Dutch801 Rm BT" and so used that ... though other readers may have a different native font. Of course there is no DRM or anything with this format (not necessarily a bad thing).

I believe, if you want to publish on a Kindle, you can upload a Word document directly to Amazon.com and they will convert it for you. It sounds straight-forward enough but I have no firsthand experience.