add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Introductions

Rob B.
Shreveport, LA
Post #: 1
Hey folks,

Rob weighing in from Louisiana. Been tinkering with databases for years, finally worked my way into a DBA job. Doing MS SQL server in production, but prefer MySQL. Might even try to talk my client into switching eventually! Hope to have fun, make contacts, and learn a lot to break out of this little plateau I'm stuck on.

Looking forward to a great class!
Sheeri Kritzer C.
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 139
Welcome Rob!
Sandy Van den B.
user 34313412
Kontich, BE
Hi all,

I am Sandy Van den Borne and I live in Belgium. I have worked a lot of years with Oracle database and experimented a bit with MySQL. My goal is to refresh and improve my MySQL skills while being part of this fantastic group full of motivated people. Thanks Sheeri for setting this up!
Ann T.
user 72511952
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 4
Ann signing in from Andover, MA near Boston. I'm a SAS programmer, looking to add to my skills. Already use, in a very simple way, PROC SQL in SAS, which is not quite the same as MySQL but similar enough.
user 5248851
Canyon, CA
Post #: 2
Hi All, :)

I'm Scott and live in the SF Bay Area (east bay hills). I'm seeking an introduction to and overview of MySQL, particularly for developing World University and School, - http://worlduniversit...­ - which is like Wikipedia with MIT OCW, as we move from the Wikia wiki to the Wikidata wiki.

A former member

I'm Mark, from the United Kingdom. Oxfordshire to be precise.

I've connected to databases extensively as a developer in the past but, apart from some Access VBA development back in the day, have never really spent any time administering a database.

Since a new role I start next week will focus almost exclusively on MySQL, I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn a bit more about it.

Thanks for arranging this Sheeri and I look forward to communicating with you all as we progress.

Best regards,
Sheeri Kritzer C.
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 145
Welcome Sandy, Ann, Scott and Mark! I hope you're having fun so far....
Heather S.
user 30787012
Boston, MA
Hi I'm Heather and I live outside of Boston.

I started as an Oracle DBA in '99 and picked up SQL Server soon after. I started with MySQL about 1.5 years ago. I thought it seemed interesting and wanted to learn something new.

Main reason I'm taking this class is to help me prep to take the MySQL certification exam, but I think this will also be a good opportunity to pick up some new tips
Sheeri Kritzer C.
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 149
Welcome Heather!
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Heather, welcome!

I was fortunate to pass the MySQL 5 Database Administrator Exams I and II recently, in November 2012. If your studying for MySQL DBA exam, i recommend the MySQL 5.0 Certification Study Guide by DuBois, Hinz and Pedersen. I found that much of the material from the second half of the book, which is oriented towards the DBA exams as opposed to the Dev exams, which was originally designed for MySQL 5.0, still seemed relevant to helping me pass the exam.

I still had to study hard and I also used a few other sources, but this book i read heavily in the few month or two right before the exam.

But in any case, good luck on your upcoming exam.