Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Lesson 02: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Lesson 02: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 112
This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 2 of the Learning MySQL book being used in the MySQL Marinate Season 1 virtual self-study course. If you want, you can go to the Master Discussion List for MySQL Marinate Season 1.

You should install MySQL 5.5. MySQL 5.5 has been the stable release since Dec 2010. MySQL 5.1 is 2 years older than MySQL 5.5. MySQL 5.6 is not yet recommended for production. If you would like to use MySQL 5.6 for this, you may.

Note that you do NOT need to install Apache, Perl or PHP. You can skip pages 83-92.

­

Yours in marination,

Sheeri K. Cabral

PS: Notes, errata and updates for Chapter 2:

See http://tahaghoghi.com...­ - pages 9-94.

On p. 10, it says that "The MySQL Manual says that you can get a performance increase of up to 30 percent if you compile the code with the ideal settings for your environment." This was true up through MySQL 5.1 (see http://dev.mysql.com/...­. However, with MySQL 5.5 and newer, this is no longer true.

On p. 62, it talks about checking to make sure the mysql user and group are on the machine by using NetInfo Manager. The NetInfo Manager was taken out of Mac OS X Leopard (10.7) and above. Just skip the paragraph starting "To check using the NetInfo Manager", and proceed to the paragraph with "You can instead check these settings from the shell prompt."

On p. 71, it talks about the MySQL Migration Toolkit and says it's part of the "MySQL GUI Tools Bundle". These days, it's part of MySQL Workbench.

On p. 75 -78, the book talks about setting your path, which probably should be under "configuration" instead of the troubleshooting section...you might think once you get MySQL installed, you can skip that section, but you may need to read it anyway.

On p. 93, it lists http://forge.mysql.co...­ as a resource, but that website has been deprecated for a while now.
A former member
Post #: 20
(To continue from my Chap 3 thread)
Installing MySQL on Windows is all done with a wizard, if I remember correctly. The only thing I selected was where to put it. I selected "C:/Program Files"
In C:/Program Files/MySQL/ I see some thing called mysql.exe. But when I try and run it, from the command line, another window opens - and than closes - really fast.
(I was unsuccessful at setting up a linux/unix solution to use for this class, so I am stuck with Windows - on which I suck. As you can tell.)
Thanks
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 131
Hi Billy!

Do you see a directory called 'bin' somewhere under C:\Program Files\MySQL? According to p. 76 at the top, whether you did a "no install" (zip) installation, a standard installation or an XAMPP installation, the mysql program should be in a directory called "bin". Try looking for the "mysqladmin" program, that might be easier to find than "mysql". Once you find that, run mysqladmin status, as it says on p. 76, just as a test.

Once you know where it is, you can update your path settings on Windows as per p.77.

Starting on page 53, there's a section called "Starting and Stopping MySQL as a service" and the section after that is "Starting and Stopping MySQL from the commandline". You want to make sure that the mysqld service (that's mysqld for "mysql daemon", that's what runs the server) before you try to connect with the MySQL commandline client.
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 132
Oh! One more thing I thought of. You don't start the mysql program by double-clicking it.

You start it within the command prompt. I used to go to Start->Run and then type "cmd.exe" (no quotes) and then a Command Prompt would come up (last time I used Windows it was XP, things may have changed since then). It's from that window you'd type "mysql" or the full path to the executable.....
A former member
Post #: 21
Got it, thanks.

The sqladmin gave me an error message for no password, or some thing like that. Which was my problem, not using --user and --password
Patrick H.
user 74304712
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 2
Hi Billy

If you did a default installation under Windows then start a Windows command prompt and type:

mysql -u root -p

when prompted for a password type the root password you created during installation.

If you do not have a MySQL root user password then the following will get you in:

mysql -u root

Hope this helps

Patrick

Rob B.
CrazyTalk
Shreveport, LA
I got MySQL 5.5 going on a VBox running Ubuntu 12. Did we have anything to turn in for this lesson?
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 147
Rob - yes. There are exercises at the end of the chapter, and if you update your repository you'll see there's a folder beginning with 02 and has a file called homework.txt.
Ronak A.
user 71949862
Cambridge, MA
i am having some difficulties figuring out how to add MySQL bin directory to the operating system path for MAC OS, essentially the last book question from the homework.

Anyone have a page reference for this task.

thanks in advance.

Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 153
Ronan, we had that question in IRC too, so it's not too hard! It's in the "What if things don't work" troubleshooting section, p. 75-78.