Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Lesson 04: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Lesson 04: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 121
This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 4 of the Learning MySQL book being used in the MySQL Marinate Season 1 virtual self-study course. If you want, you can go to the Master Discussion List for MySQL Marinate Season 1.

­

Yours in marination,

Sheeri K. Cabral

Notes for Chapter 4: In the chapter it talks about making sure your data doesn't repeat itself, and how to design so that there aren't consistency problems. If you want to learn more about normalization, feel free to listen to the OurSQL Podcast (www.oursql.com), <A HREF="http://technocation.o...­ 7 about normalization</A> and <A HREF="http://technocation.o...­ 64, about different normal forms</A>.,
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 19
If you want to use Visio to diagram Chapter 4 exercises, Visio does not provide a template for the Peter Chen ER model used in the book, but Daniel Harris has provided a free stencil here that works well.
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 125
Mike - so glad you're working through the exercises! Sometime soon I'll start the github repository for the exercises, for the official location to submit the "homework".
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 22
Here is a first attempt at the Chapter 4 exercises.
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 126
Mike - looks good, just scanning it. I haven't checked to see that everything's there, but just a glance makes it look like you know what's going on so far! I hope to get the github homework repository up this weekend.
Jesper Staun H.
user 64186362
Randers, DK
Post #: 5
Here is a first attempt at the Chapter 4 exercises.

Please warn when using bright yellow colors :D
A former member
Post #: 16
provided a free stencil here that works well.

I was wondering what the notation was, never seen it before. I do like drawing pictures, so this is very helpful.
A former member
Post #: 17
This is not in the textbook so before I make the change to the drawing, and I am referring to updating the first one, would it be ok to code it a compilation as a derived attribute of album?

Also, would I be doing something unnecessary or 'old fashioned' if I coded my keys beginning with pk or fk?

Thanks....M
A former member
Post #: 18
This is not in the textbook so before I make the change to the drawing, and I am referring to updating the first one, would it be ok to code it a compilation as a derived attribute of album?

Also, would I be doing something unnecessary or 'old fashioned' if I coded my keys beginning with pk or fk?

Thanks....M
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 164
As long as the data model reflects what the real life situation is, it doesn't matter how you do it.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that you need to code something at this point?