addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Lesson 03: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Lesson 03: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 122
This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 3 of the Learning MySQL book being used in the MySQL Marinate Season 1 virtual self-study course. If you want, you can go to the Master Discussion List for MySQL Marinate Season 1.

­

Yours in marination,

Sheeri K. Cabral
A former member
Post #: 17
So I have MySQL installed, on windows It gives you a really robust, and good looking IDE), but I must be missing some thing.
The problem is that not all of the command line sql in the book works.
In the book the prompt is "sql>", the screen I am using in MySQL doesn't have a prompt. You just enter your sql and click on the button with the lighting bolt.
(At the moment I forget exactly which sql wasn't working for me.)
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 129
Hi Billy,

If you're clicking on a button, you're using a GUI, not the commandline tools. So some of the commandline might not work, if it's specific to the commandline client, not the server itself. For example, ending a query with \G to see the vertical output is client-specific, so might not work in a GUI.

Hope that helps! And certainly if you figure out what SQL isn't working, post it here.
A former member
Post #: 18
How to I get the command line prompt, I guess I missed that part in the book. Thanks.
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 130
Hi Billy,

Just at the beginning of Chapter 3, on page 95, under "Starting the Monitor" - it says that the program is called "mysql and is found in a directory with the other MySQL programs". Exactly where it is depends on how you install it, if you don't know where, refer to page 75 in Chapter 2, "Error Message about MySQL Executable Programs Not Being Found or Recognized" - there's a small paragraph on Windows.

Note that you will need to change the exact path from something including "MySQL 5.0" to MySQL 5.5 (assuming you're using that version).

I think for most of the examples in Chapter 5-12 you can use the GUI if you like, so if you could post what command didn't work for you in the GUI that would be awesome. It's not required to use the commandline, though it is a good skill to have.
A former member
Post #: 19
Looks like this is a becoming a Chap 2 question, so I will post there. Thanks.
Alana
user 3584937
Jamaica Plain, MA
Post #: 116
Finished Chapter 3!

Had some difficulty figuring out how to correctly access MySQL for MAMP through the command line. For some reason I wasn't connecting as root. I had to go back to chapter 2 and configure a .bashrc file but first I had to figure out how to show hidden files on Mountain Lion. I'm not sure if there is any easy way but my searches only found commands to enter via terminal. Also had to review the MAMP documentation for the correct syntax for command line connection. Anyway up and running, and I sent my Pull Request. On to Chapter 4 :)
A former member
Post #: 15
Just submitted a pull request for the homework done for this chapter. However, Grithub says the pull for Lesson 2 is still in progress and that pull request was done 2 to 3 hours ago.

I did take some time to review Grithub doc, but not this specifically. Am going to introduce myself now which might give people some idea of why I must appear to be such an IT novice.
Kevin P.
krpayne
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
Besides the recommendations in the book, are there other MySQL Administrator GUI tools out there that are popular and administrators find useful? Sheeri, What do you use in your shop?
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 175
I mostly use commandline, or MySQL Workbench (which is part of the stuff from Oracle, I think the book uses the old name, the "MySQL GUI Tools".