Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Lesson 02, MySQL Marinate, Season 2

Lesson 02, MySQL Marinate, Season 2

Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 179
Notes, errata and updates for Chapter 2:
You should install the latest version of MySQL, which is MySQL 5.6.

Note that you do NOT need to install Apache, Perl or PHP. You can skip pages 83-92.

See http://tahaghoghi.com...­ - pages 9-83 is what you are looking at.

On p. 10, it says that "The MySQL Manual says that you can get a performance increase of up to 30 percent if you compile the code with the ideal settings for your environment." This was true up through MySQL 5.1 (see http://dev.mysql.com/...­. However, with MySQL 5.5 and newer, this is no longer true.

On p. 62, it talks about checking to make sure the mysql user and group are on the machine by using NetInfo Manager. The NetInfo Manager was taken out of Mac OS X Leopard (10.7) and above. Just skip the paragraph starting "To check using the NetInfo Manager", and proceed to the paragraph with "You can instead check these settings from the shell prompt."

On p. 71, it talks about the MySQL Migration Toolkit and says it's part of the "MySQL GUI Tools Bundle". These days, it's part of MySQL Workbench.

On p. 75 -78, the book talks about setting your path, which probably should be under "configuration" instead of the troubleshooting section...you might think once you get MySQL installed, you can skip that section, but you may need to read it anyway.

On p. 93, it lists http://forge.mysql.co...­ as a resource, but that website has been deprecated since the book was published.

This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 2 of the Learning MySQL book being used in the MySQL Marinate virtual self-study course. If you want, you can go to the Master Discussion List for MySQL Marinate Season 2.
Corrin
user 11389797
Davis, CA
Post #: 17
Page numbers are irrelevant to E-books, as the number of pages is based on the size of the text (on a kindle anyway). It would really help me if you used section headers instead.
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 183
Hi Corrin,

The book's errata at learningmysql.com uses page numbers, so that's why I did it that way. I'll see what I can do post chapter 4 (since I've already set those up).
Corrin
user 11389797
Davis, CA
Post #: 18
Hey Sheri, I'm sorry Im so far behind. I'm a little confused by your second extra question. I'm using linux and I believe it uses a bunch of different locations for different files within the program, or am I missing the point of the question?
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 189
Hey Sheri, I'm sorry Im so far behind. I'm a little confused by your second extra question. I'm using linux and I believe it uses a bunch of different locations for different files within the program, or am I missing the point of the question?

Hi Corrin, the question is vague on purpose. I would write down anything you think is important, so if there are 3 important locations, write down all 3.