Sail Friday 7/26 Winnipesaukee

Two J22 crew seats FILLED to sail Winnipesaukee~ Gray clouds loom, as if to rain, with 50-50 chance. Strong winds likely to build out of the north thru afternoon. Bursty & overbearing. Mixed clouds & sun with High UV. If rain, then highest probability period is a shower for an hour between 1p & 3p (weather stats below).

Schedule~ Meet at the boat slip at 11a. Likely return to dock this day is 6p, could change w/ conditions or crew consensus. Need to cancel? Please do so before 10p the night before. Morning delays or crisis? Please call in real-time to see whether we can hold the boat for you, or not.

Helm Conditions~ On this day, no chance of beginner or visitor helm time, but a good day to learn more about sail handling, tacking & trimming. Also, no swimming off boat, but enjoy clean sandy beach near boatyard. Nice for a dip after sailing (pack a suit, even if sure you wont use it). If conditions calm down enough in evening, then helm sharing likely.

Clothing~ Plan to be wet from spray, could be continuous. Bring light wind jacket. Shorts, bare feet, bathing suit OK for starters & may be all you'll need. But add to bag: lite-wt long sleeves, long pants (leggings work) & a good protective shoe w/ a deck sole. A towel, & if you chill easily add cotton sweater or fleece. Pack easy on-off layers. Include one thing you think it's too warm out to need. If you have your own PFD, bring it. Sailing gloves, if you have em (but don't buy). Favorite hat? Add shoestring & safety pin to collar, if you have no other clip-on hat saver. In the car leave 2nd set dry things for drive home. Mom says: Remember dry unders. If you tend toward cold feet, extra dry socks.

Sun & Wind Burn~ Mix of some gray clouds & Hi-UV risks more burning than you think at the time: Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen & especially something in your pocket for freq reapp to lips due to drying wind.

Provisions~ Bring extra bev. This type wind quite drying when combined w/only 50%humidity. Typically drink all day w/ no need to pee. You're welcome to bring food but don't over pack on this score, on this type of day most often it goes uneaten. One-handed food is wisest. Thirst quenching fruit gets gobbled. Coolers are safe temp for sandwich ingredients using mayo.

Coolers~ I bring chilled out coolers. For best us of space, please put food stuffs in ziplock bags & not "tupperware" unless an item really needs protection of such container. OK to bring your own cooler, but there's only room for it to be small or med size. Flip top type is best. Please no bear-proof swivel slide tops [aka "hearts & lungs"] type. Hard to open & access when in the secured cooler location. If no other option, pack your cooler for the drive, then leave in car & trans food to the boat coolers.

Questions? Check my profile, or ask here. You can also contact me directly if you'd rather not post your question in public forum> [masked] phone number only sent privately

Detailed Conditions for Friday July 26 (updated nightly by 10p)
Chance of light & brief rain between 1p-3p with less than .10" precip. Mix sun & clouds, some may be gray heavy cumulous. Wind NW 8-12mph gusting 20+. Wind mixed & quartering thru afternoon from W, NW, N & NE. Especially shifty @northend, more westerly in the southend. White caps, spray, wet deck & heeling are likely but not guaranteed.

Day: 68-74, Mix Sun & Clouds, UV-6, 50%Humidity
Day Wind: NE 15mph gusting to 25+ to more  
Intraday: Calm morning grows 15mph by noon, builds until 7p  
Nite: 60's, Wind NW 7-10mph, clouds, no rain likely  
Sunset: 8:16p, winds slack to 5-8mph by 10p

Judgement: Very likely an overbearing & bursty north wind all afternoon. Wind looks to shift west & soften enough for a gentler evening sail, but after a day of sustained 25+ from the north the lake may just be too whipped up for pleasant evening. This one is hard to call.

 

Unfamiliar w/ the J22? No cushions, no head. This boat is designed to be responsive, a characteristic that also makes it good for teaching. Tho its not built for comfort, there's amble dry space to stow bag full of carry-on comforts, which you're encouraged to bring. To see a stock photo (not my boat, or my photo, but just alike) click here>  J22-SB1.jpg 3,072×1,932 pixels

Join or login to comment.

  • MaureenTolman

    Blown-Out by High Probability of Overbearing Winds. Cancellation confirmed w/ crew. Decision based on Morning's updated forecast w/ wind shifted fully north, ripping down the length of the lake unobstructed & building throughout the day. In my estimation, highly likely to be gusting to 25-30mph. White caps, spray & wet heeling deck. And cool temps for being wet & wind blown. Sorry to crash the day, but in my judgement there is too high risk that the conditions will build to be not an appropriate fit for experience level of crew... or maybe just not enough Fun to justify your drive time. Will look to put together a day with better odds.

    July 26, 2013

    • MaureenTolman

      Gave the retreat-to-pub default much thought. Really had urge to come up & hang, but being totally honest, am still a bit raggedy-assed from Wed's work-out. I keep dozing out in the middle of writing emails : { I'm sure if I were sailing I'd be plenty alert. But w/out commensurate adrenaline fix, I'd not be in best shape for attentive driving needed to get home. Next time though. Thnx

      July 26, 2013

    • Cindy M

      Now that would have been an idea! We might have been able to go out later. It's turning out to be a nice day here, sun is out, but no wind here in the woods, oh wait, I think I see the leaves moving! Drat. I guess it's all for the best, for me, since I am hosting an apres paddle party at my house tomorrow after going kayaking with my ski club.

      July 26, 2013

  • Cindy M

    Figures. I just came out of the grocery store and the sun is trying to come out!

    July 26, 2013

  • MaureenTolman

    A.M. update, wind force increasing. check emails I sent you @10. If Too much for your comfort zone, be honest w/ yourselves. Call me before 10:30 to pull plug before I hit the road. Otherwise, we'll caucus & call it blow by blow when eye to eye w/ it

    July 26, 2013

  • MaureenTolman

    OK ladies, thnx for being adaptable. So we're all 3 now confirmed for departing the dock at noon. Some signif changes to wind reports make sailing into evening more of an option that it earlier appeared. Evening winds moderated. We'll see what unfolds & what you feel like, but if rain does land in middle of afternoon... you might find you want to stay on after, for the day's better 1/2. Keep this option open for yourselves by packing food & clothes for possibly staying out til 8. You may find you at least want the choice to stay on & not be limited by chills or hunger. Your call. See ya at noon. Be ready for rain.

    July 25, 2013

  • MaureenTolman

    I muffed it on the start time ladies. My bad. Boo has reminded me that her work schd only supports casting off at noon. And Cindy, your comments below sound like your first thought was noon too. Noon is fine with me, please confirm you're both good with that & reset on the meet time. Apologies for the muddled brain. I'll still be getting to the boat ahead of you, as engine work being done in early a.m. & I want to shake down before we all go out. So boat should be ready ahead of you if you both want to go w/ noon. Yes? No? what say ye

    July 25, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Yes!

    July 25, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Excellent, this is a learning treasure!

    July 25, 2013

  • MaureenTolman

    No certainty when it comes to forecasting natural phenom. But Laconia aviation reports suggest we're still in good shape. I'll be reviewing my weather sources again late tonight & updating postings notes. Given the iffiness, will do it again in the a.m. too, if you are inclined to stop in & read for updates. Otherwise, will see you there, with over stuffed sail bag. It is a prime day to over pack for. When there is a teetering forecast, best insurance against rain? Having your rain gear w/ you!

    July 25, 2013

  • Cindy M

    Whoops, just noticed this starts at 11. Changing my wish for the rain to stop by 11!

    July 25, 2013

  • Cindy M

    Hoping the rain gets going in the morning and is done by noon!

    July 25, 2013

3 went

This Meetup is community funded

$10.00/year

Member dues are used to:
  • Cover Meetup costs
  • Provide supplies or equipment

30 day free trial

No credit card required

After the trial you must pay dues to continue attending Meetups.

Cancel dues at any time.

Dues are billed each year.

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create a Meetup Group and meet new people

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy