The Berkeley Men's Shelter offers overnight housing to the homeless men of the community, every day of the year from 5pm-7:30am. As the residents leave the shelter on Saturday morning, let's help them start the day off on a positive note by providing them with food or other items that they can use!
Afterward, we will take a stroll through downtown to interact with the homeless residents who may already be out, and distribute what we have left. By the time we get back, the Berkeley Farmer's Market will just be opening, so you can do your grocery shopping as well.
This is a completely self-contained project, which means everything must be provided by ourselves.
• If you want to test your latest food creation, you will certainly have a welcoming audience here.
• Pre-made goodies from the supermarket are also great.
• Sandwiches are always welcome, since the residents can keep them for later in the day.
• If you have socks or old clothing to donate, you can bring that. Socks are important to those sleeping on the streets since their extremities get very cold.
• Razors and toiletries are much appreciated. Despite their life situations, homeless men still strive to be well-kept and well-mannered.
Use your imagination! It doesn't have to be a food or clothing item. Anything you think a person can use.
If you want to cook or prepare anything, you can do so at my house prior to the start of this event (I live 1.7 miles away). E-mail me directly to coordinate.
Please indicate in your RSVP what you plan to bring. If you are just able to donate your company, that is equally good. Please come along, socialize, and help!