The "We Don't Do Mainstream" Film Group Message Board Movie Suggestions › Classic film noir

Classic film noir

Shirley H.
ebks
Toronto, ON
Post #: 55
the Toronto Film Noir Syndicate is doing their 3rd screening of their series Friday January 18th. It's Raw Deal 1948 directed by Anthony Mann, starring Claire Trevor, Dennis O'Keefe & Raymond Burr. It's about an ex-con last nightmarish weeks after he's betrayed by his old mob boss (played by Burr). The evening starts off with noir trailers and an episode of the classic tv mystery Mr. & Mrs. North. Only $5 at the door.
The best part is that it is held in a private screening room in the Dominion on Queen. So it means that you can grab a bit to eat, a real drink and watch a movie. Dominion on Queen, 500 Queen E at Sumach. Queen streetcar stop right outside. www.tfns.ca
Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Toronto, ON
Post #: 67
I was going to post about this but you beat me to it! I'm certainly interested.
Roger
user 3183958
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 112
This looks intriguing. Anyone else interested in going to see this with our group?
A former member
Post #: 6
I'd definitely be interested in going!
Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Toronto, ON
Post #: 68
I will definitely be going to this, and I expect to arrive at the Dominion between 7:15 - 7:30 PM (show starts at 8 PM). If anyone else is planning on coming, let me know here or you can text me at 416-824-7019.
Roger
user 3183958
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 115
I'll be there. Let's do this as an informal group event. Everyone who is going -- meet just inside the front door tomorrow (Friday) at 7:30 pm.
Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Toronto, ON
Post #: 69
Did a bit of research on "Mr. and Mrs. North". It was originally a radio series running from 1942 to 54, about a publishing couple who kept stumbling across murders. They did a TV adaptation (which we saw an episode of last night) in 52-54, using mostly scripts originally from the radio show. There were also 26 novels about the characters and a Broadway play. Kind of surprised I'd never heard of them before now actually. It was usually Mrs. North who did the detecting, while Mr. North hit people.

And Roger, you were spot on about "Hart to Hart". The creators of that series acknowledge the Norths as an inspiration.