The "We Don't Do Mainstream" Film Group Message Board Movie Suggestions › From Up On Poppy Hill at the TIFF Lightbox - Tuesday the 26th

From Up On Poppy Hill at the TIFF Lightbox - Tuesday the 26th

Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Toronto, ON
Post #: 74
The Lightbox is going to be showing the Japanese anime film "From Up On Poppy Hill", directed by Goro Miyazaki, son of the great Hayao Miyazaki. I saw it in the Film Festival on 2011 and loved it.

I'm going to see it at the 6:45 PM showing next Tuesday, the 26th. If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.

"The highest-grossing Japanese film released in Japan in 2011, the new film from Studio Ghibli — co-written by the legendary director and Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki, and directed by his son Goro — is a story of young love and cultural renewal set in 1960s Tokyo. Every morning, the teenage Umi raises flags as a blessing to passing sailors, and her goodwill catches the attention of schoolmate Shun, who writes the anonymous flag-raiser a poem in the school newspaper. Joining Shun's campaign to save the school clubhouse from being destroyed as Tokyo prepares for the 1964 Olympics, Umi soon falls for the charming and passionate young activist. Featuring gorgeous animation, a surprisingly eclectic score (surf music in a Ghibli film!), and evoking such gently humanistic Ghibli classics as Only Yesterday, the lovely, understated From Up on Poppy Hill screens in both a subtitled version and a dubbed English-language edition featuring the voices of Gillian Anderson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ron Howard and Aubrey Plaza."

http://tiff.net/films...­
bernies
user 4327060
Toronto, ON
Post #: 33
I'm in
TG Wah (aka A.
Subscrib
Toronto, ON
Post #: 100
I watched it and have the movie. It was beautifully animated though I was somewhat disappointed. Would you post your thoughts after watching it?