We are working on an exciting 2-day experience near / around the Pine & Bailey area of Colorado.
- Route: Day 1 - Pine / Buffalo Creek Wilderness Loop (9-12 miles)
We will start in the town of pine and walk SE following the S Platte River. We'll then cut South on Buffalo Creek Rd and make our way to Baldy Trail taking us North through the Buffalo Creek wilderness area. We will hit medium/intermediate hiking as we make our way up the mountain. We'll loop back towards Pine by connecting to the Strawberry Jack trail and Pine Valley Park. There will be plenty of shade spots along the route. If you are bringing a pet, please keep in mind that there will be a section of the trail that will have no running water for several miles. We will end at our starting location.
Day 2 - Pine Junction / Staunton State Park (12.5 miles)
This will be a beautiful road walk North of Pine Junction. We will start at our host's home and walk up Mt Evans Rd. We'll be on this road practically the entire time as it winds through valley, mountain and State park. It will be a beautiful walk!
- Mileage: 20-24 miles split between two days
- **NEW LIABILITY WAIVER: Visit the 'Files' section of the Walk2Connect page (located in the 'more' section) to download the Walk2Connect Liability Waiver form if you haven't already. Please read, print and sign the Walk2Connect Liability Waiver form and bring it to the walk. - Thank you!
- Theme: RISK Please consider bringing at least one item to share with the group related to the word 'risk'. This can be a poem, quote, picture, story... anything. This is of course optional, but highly encouraged. It can be as specific or as broad as you like. We will have several breaks where we will share and discuss this topic.
- Accommodation: We will have a fantastic host for the night. A local walker has opened up her beautiful mountain home near Pine, CO to have us stay for the night. Most of us will be camping near the home, so please plan to bring your tent and sleeping bag! If you have no interest in camping and you really want to attend, please email and we can talk through our options.
- BUCKSNORT SALOON: We will have the luxury to drive to the Bucksnort Saloon to enjoy a few (optional) drinks and live music!
- Meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner): Our wonderful host will prepare a group dinner and breakfast (vegetarian option available). We will need to plan to carry / pack our own lunches for Day 1 and 2. If you have special dietary needs please email me and we'll work it out!
- Difficulty: Medium - we will be doing a bit of actual 'hiking' on this trip! (NOTE: All of these walks are considered 'advanced walking' based on their length. If you have concerns about your ability, please feel free to contact me at email address below!)
- Terrain: trail, road, gravel, pavement (many uneven surfaces)
- Schedule & Meeting Location: We will meet at 8:00am at Safeway. We will park our cars in front of store to allow folks to get last minute items. We will also talk through Walk2Connect goals, answer any questions and take time to stretch. We should be done walking no later than 3pm.
- Parking: There will be plenty of parking in the shopping center.
- Dog Friendly! Your pups are welcome; however, please consider the following: they must be friendly with other dogs as we will be staying at a home where they have several, they must be trained enough to stay with you and not wander off and please be sure they can handle the duration of the walks!
- Weather: Will keep you posted as we get closer!
- Breaks & Restrooms: There won't be many options for using the restroom outside of our starting locations. Please come prepared to use nature's bathroom if necessary.
- Payment: There is a required $25 fee for food, accommodation and planning time/expenses.
- Comfortable socks & shoes (pref. NON cotton socks)
- Light backpack w/water and snack foods (almonds, bars, fruit)
- Tent, sleeping bag, pillow
- Toilet Paper
- Sunglasses & Sunscreen (and hat if you wear them)
- Light layers of clothing depending on anticipated temperature
- Light rain gear just in case.
- Donation: Please consider an additional trip donation! Anything helps as I'm working hard to afford the planning and facilitation in keeping future Walk2Connect Meetup trips free or at a very low cost. As many of you know, I'm working to build Walk2Connect as a business and am also taking material/route map donations (current trail/road maps, used/good condition outdoor gear) - You can email me below or visit my paypal page!
- Share with friends! Please consider sharing this experience with your friends and family. Send them the link to our website (www.walk2connect.com) or to our meetup group! Share photos and quotes on your social media sites as we go along. Follow and like our pages on Facebook & Twitter as well!
- Can't make it the whole way? (or you're unsure): Please plan to have someone available to pick you up if you don't think you can go the whole way; however, you will be surprised at what your body can do. Don't hesitate to email me at the address below if you have specific concerns or questions.
These walks are very informal and give us all unique opportunities to connect with one another, ourselves and our surroundings. Feel free to visit my website walk2connect.com to read testimonies from a few people who are doing this already.