Walking & Fun Activities for Fitness Message Board › Amherst Bike Path- you can Google it ...its start at the Amherst Audubon Gol

Amherst Bike Path- you can Google it ...its start at the Amherst Audubon Golf Course....Here is my Cell phone number, please text me with a message telling me that you are a member of WFF, so that i have your number...716-650-8622

Peggy R
user 57166512
Lockport, NY
Post #: 7
Where to ride: Bike paths in Amherst, New York

By Paula Thompson, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Friday, Apr 8, 2011
tweet9
Email
Print
In my hometown of Amherst, N.Y.—a suburb of Buffalo—there are a number of town-maintained bike trails, totaling nearly 23 miles of walking, biking, and exercise paths. Four of these paths take walkers and bikers through some of the scenic areas of Amherst—nature trails, creekside paths, and canal trailways that give those in need of exercise a dose of inspiration along the way.

It is recommended that anyone using the paths walk in pairs or groups, and all paths are closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

The Ellicott Creek Trailway
Parking and restrooms are available on North Forest Rd. near Maple Rd. in Williamsville for this 7.2-mile bike path, the longest town-maintained trail in the Town of Amherst. The main trail runs from North Forest Rd. to Niagara Falls Blvd., following Ellicott Creek along the way; this main path totals 5.1 miles.

There is also a smaller loop at the beginning of the path totaling just over 3 miles for those who are looking for a little less exercise.

Walton Woods Path
Walton Woods is a beautiful wooded nature trail in the middle of Amherst, with parking and access at the Amherst Senior Center/Library complex on John James Audubon Parkway. The Walton Woods Path is just over 4.5 miles in length, and also features dirt trails throughout in addition to the maintained asphalt path. The surrounding woods are full of old trees, trilliums, jack-in-the-pulpits, ferns, and other natural beauty.

The Amherst Canalway Trail
This trail runs from Sweet Home Rd. to New Rd. along Tonawanda Creek in North Amherst. The 5.7-mile trail has parking at Amherst Veterans Canal Park and Boat Launch (about 8/10 of a mile from Sweet Home Rd. on Brenon Rd.), where you can also find restrooms.

The Canalway Trail runs along the historic New York State Canal System, which totals 525 miles and includes the Erie Canal, the Oswego Canal, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal, and the Champlain Canal.

The Hopkins Road Boardwalk and Trail
Running along Hopkins Rd. from Klein Rd. to the Town of Amherst Right-of-Way just north of Cimarand Dr., the 1.3-mile Boardwalk and Trail borders the Great Baehre Swamp, a state wetland of 270 acres characterized by Silver Maple-Ash. It features a loop that runs through Margaret Louise Park on Hopkins Rd., which also has parking and restrooms. The loop and the boardwalk provide visitors with areas to view the birds and other animals present in the park.

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

Paula Thompson is a member of the Yahoo! Contributor Network.