|Sent on:||Friday, April 6, 2012 12:29 PM|
(If you have received, or will again receive, this solicitation from someone else or from me, through another email list, I apologize. Please interpret that as a sign that you are very much wanted. If you’ve already contacted me or someone else about volunteering, please interpret that as a sign that I’m too lazy to parse the list.)
The 39th consecutive annual One Day Hike will take place this year on Saturday, Apr 28. The ODH is a fully supported event that requires about 100 volunteers to put on. If you are a veteran volunteer, and want to reprise your role or would like to try something different, or you are an interested newbie, please let me know. Volunteers must be dependable and hardy – showing up to work on time and regardless of weather. First-time volunteers get a free ODH T-shirt as a small token of appreciation. Volunteers are needed as:
1) Support-station volunteers are needed to man stations that provide food, drink, and assistance to hikers. If you are interested, let me know your preference in terms of time of day and amount of time you are willing to help. The more flexible you are the better. You do not have to stay for a station’s entire period of operation, although that is preferable for the first three stations (through Edwards Ferry). The stations are:
- Seneca Creek, 7 to 11 am
- Edwards Ferry, 9 am to 2 pm
- Whites Ferry, 10 am to 3:30 pm
- Monocacy, 11 am to 6 pm
- Point of Rocks, 1 pm to 8 pm
- Brunswick, 2:30 to 10 pm
- At Harpers Ferry and Bolivar (5 pm to midnight), where volunteers are also needed to guide hikers along the towns’ route.
Contact me if you are interested or for more information.
2) Bike patrollers will ride their bikes to check on hikers all along the mostly dirt route, providing assistance as needed. Patrollers are needed from about 6:30 am to midnight. Contact our Bike-Partrol Coordinator, Frank Wodarczyk ([address removed]), if you are interested or for more information.
If you are interested or have any questions, please let me know. If you know others who may be interested, please forward this message to them. If you have already agreed to help, thank you ever so much.
Last year’s ODH: https://picasaweb.google.com/113258319599232463581/2011ODH#
Year in and year out, volunteers are what makes the ODH the great event that it is!
(This message composed of 98.3% recycled material.)