|Sent on:||Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:25 PM|
For those whose attention span?this message contains info about:
3) Environment & Fiction Book Club meeting, Nov 20.
4) Fundraiser for Inner City Outings Program, Nov 24.
5) Links to pictures from recent Wanderings.
Items 1 and 2 are Sierra Club Potomac Region Outings (SCPRO) events.
If I?ve lost you already, Happy Thanksgiving.
1) On Saturday, December 6, we will go to Antietam National Battlefield for an annual event that includes an afternoon hike around one of the best preserved Civil War battlefields (www.nps.gov/anti/), followed by an evening drive through the Memorial Illumination (www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/luminary.htm).
The hike is a moderately difficult 11 miles (2.5 blisters) over mixed surfaces (roads, farms, woods) and rolling hills. Shorter options are available. The Illumination commemorates the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with 23,000 candles representing that day's casualties. During the hike, you'll see the many volunteers preparing the candles, making the Illumination all the more moving and impressive. This is a great way to learn about Civil War history. All are welcome, including kids and leashed dogs.
If you are interested, let me know and I will send detailed information about the meeting time and place, and the event by late next Monday. (If you've already expressed interest and don't get information by next Monday night, let me know.)
Dinner: After the Illumination, many of us
will have dinner at the historic Old South Mountain Inn (www.oldsouthmountaininn.com/).
Reservations are almost full. To reserve, send me $5/person deposit via PayPal
or as a check payable to me to POB 2308,
The deposit goes towards your meal. If you need to cancel and I can find a replacement (very likely), I'll refund it to you. If the trip is rescheduled due to weather, the restaurant keeps it, although you are welcome to go there on your own.
If the Illumination is cancelled due to weather, it will be rescheduled for December 13, as will the hike. There is no guarantee of dinner reservations for December 13. FYI, in the last seven years, the Illumination was rescheduled once.
2) On Saturday, December 13, we?ll
hike from Bears Den Trail Center to Crescent Rock (aka, Raven Rocks) and back
again, mostly along a portion of the
Bring lunch and water; we?ll drink on the rocks. To carpool, meet at 7:30 am at the West Falls Church Metro entrance. (I.e., if you drive there, walk to the entrance from where you park.) We'll gather there and then disburse to cars. Leaders are Liz Guertin (202/[masked]; [address removed]) and yours truly.
3) The new Environment and Fiction
Book Club will have an organizational tomorrow, Thursday, November 20, at 7:45
pm, in the large meeting room at the Palisades Neighborhood Library
For information contact Keith Mintzer [masked]; [address removed]).
4) The Sierra Club?s DC Inner City
Outings program (ICO) will hold a benefit featuring The City Veins, The Jet Age,
5) Finally! Here are some links to photos from recent wanderings, some of which are also posted on Wandering Soles (www.meetup.com/WanderingSoles):
September 28, Shenandoah River State Park:
November 1, Big Schloss: