Washington, DC Area Unity3D Users' Group Message Board General Chat › Looking for Collaboration - VR

Looking for Collaboration - VR

Tim
Tim.i.am
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 2
Is anybody interested in forming a small team to collaborate on a small project which optionally integrates 3D VR headset technologies?

I am in the very early stages of creating a reasonably simple game design which is roughly based on Defender which will be designed from the ground up with Oculus Rift (and perhaps others e.g. VRase) in mind. It will be a first person perspective with an immersive pilot in-the-cockpit perspective. I have some prototype artwork/designs and some scene/layout and scenario ideas for the first few levels.

I collaborate primarily via Skype and am usually avaliable on weeknights and Sat/Sun up until about noon. Having Unity Pro is not an absolute must, but would be highly recommended.

I have a 3D artist/modeler, voice actors and Sound FX/music guys who have stated a willingness to participate in this project.

I am a generalist Unity3D/C# developer who is primarily focused around ship-based applications/games, AI, and NGUI for menus and in-game UI elements. Things I'm not good at (or need more experience in learning) include: FPS, Oclusion Culling, and Level Design for starters.

The end goal of this collaborative effort will be to create one chapter (10+ levels) as a POC/teaser and then go on to create follow-on chapters or move on to other games based on lessons learned and game popularity. I am thinking the game should be "free to play" but allow in-game purchases/upgrades. Platforms should start with mac and PC.

I am open to discussion on profit sharing and strongly believe that key contributors be equally, yet handsomely rewarded.

-Tim
Tim
Tim.i.am
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 3
I had wanted to provide an update on this. First of all I am hearing conflicting status on the Oculus Rift - a shipment is heading for US at the moment, however my order may not have been included and it may October or November before it arrives based on latest estimates.

Also, I just got my hands on the Leap Motion product and will be working to integrate this in with the Oculus Rift once it arrives. Leap Motion has Unity3D support, a developer program, and there are 6 sample projects for download on their website.

-Tim
Tim
Tim.i.am
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 4
Well the Rift finally arrived late last week and I've been working around the clock with Shaun Williams putting together a quick demo ever since! We expect to have a teaser video out in a week or so hopefully. I still haven't shaved but at least I finally took a shower for the first time in a few days!

Here is a very quick screenshot from the game with game name redacted but everything else untouched.

As a teaser, if you check out Shaun's latest Ghostship video you will see about half way through the video that the character is walking around in a very similar turret as image above:

Here is link to video above if embedding doesn't work: Ghostship Aftermath Video

This new game is taking a lot longer than I had thought - as they always do! I am still interested in doing a collaboration but it may be another 6-8 weeks still to get this finalized before I can go full time at it.

If anybody else is interested in the Oculus Rift and has questions, or any integration issues, please feel free to contact me and I will help as able.

-Tim
MrPhil
MrPhil
Reno, NV
Post #: 9
Very cool! Keep up the good work!