Washington DC Freegan and Dumpster Diving Meetup Message Board › Figuring out who has cars and who can give rides and such:

Figuring out who has cars and who can give rides and such:

jeff
FREEYOURSELF
Washington, DC
Post #: 41
Basically it might be a nice idea to get a list of who is interested in diving who has a car that could potentially give rides to those who want to dive. Unfortunately I am constantly busy and cannot seem to put any time into this even though I would like to and I say it every time I have a chance to visit. I want to facilitate trying to decentralize things and get things back on track. Also if you are interested in getting a larger dive together send me info and I can make it an official meetup assuming I get here in time!

I figure if we have it set up where people have their name, availability, general location and how far they would drive (not exact but just so people know not to contact someone in germantown to go diving in fairfax type of deal) Please do not list yourself if you aren't willing to give people rides and have people email you with interest.
It would look something like this:
Jennifer Fakely (username or email), Any day but thursday, Silver Spring, 20 miles

Happy new years folks and again sorry for not being around,
Jeff
Chase W.
user 64562392
Rockville, MD
Post #: 3
I have a car. Need to get back into dumpster diving. I'm mostly interested in food, although I'll take anything that's useful.

I live in Rockville, near the Twinbrook Metro and Congressional Plaza.

My only problem is that I work, so I'd prefer to be finished DDing and in bed by 1am at the latest.

I haven't found many good places yet.

I'm originally from Seattle. Why go so late? Is it illegal here or something? What cop is really going to arrest somebody for eating food out of a dumpster?
Emily S.
user 68446042
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
I have a car and I willing to go with people. I am in Petworth and keep hearing good things about diving at Silver Spring Trader Joes. Would anyone want to go this weekend?
D C
user 46769652
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
I am in Manassas and would be interested in getting a dumpster-diving buddy in the area. In the summer/fall I did it a lot (4-5 times a week) and want to get back into it. Chase Winter--as far as I can tell, dumpster diving isn't illegal unless there is a 'No Trespassing' sign. I actually got caught by the police in the fall and they were fine with it, just wanted to make sure I was OK. (my favorite place to dive has since put up many 'No Trespassing' signs around the dumpster, so they've obviously cottoned on and I'm a bit wary of going there now). Most people go late because if the store employees catch you, there can be problems. I'm also from Seattle! Small world. :)
jeff
FREEYOURSELF
Washington, DC
Post #: 42

I'm originally from Seattle. Why go so late? Is it illegal here or something? What cop is really going to arrest somebody for eating food out of a dumpster?

Generally they are still working till about 11pm (though that could have changed) and some employees are nastier than others and on rare occasions cops do fuck with people (no arrests though). I am sure you could go a bit earlier but I generally like to avoid employees unless I know them and can trust them.
D C
user 46769652
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Hey everyone,

Kind of off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences being caught diving at a place that has "No Trespassing" signs up. I'm still going to my favorite place (which now has "No Trespassing" signs) but I am quite wary and don't go as often as I would like because I'm afraid of getting caught. Places without signs, I have no problems, it's just the "No Trespassing" signs that have me a bit spooked. Any feedback?