addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Robert
user 3256858
Leesburg, VA
Post #: 161
My oldest 3 are approaching their teenage years (12 and twins nearing 11).

Has anyone had any success getting their kids into this hobby of our's? I'd love to get any advice and learn how things went.

I tried out a box set of a dungeon crawl a year plus ago with map and card board cut-out creatures...attention span and role playing was a little bit of an issue then. Plus the basics of stats...not all that basic. But they are getting older.

Best regards,
Bo
Dark
drgames
Garrisonville, VA
Post #: 105
My oldest 3 are approaching their teenage years (12 and twins nearing 11).

Has anyone had any success getting their kids into this hobby of our's? I'd love to get any advice and learn how things went.

I tried out a box set of a dungeon crawl a year plus ago with map and card board cut-out creatures...attention span and role playing was a little bit of an issue then. Plus the basics of stats...not all that basic. But they are getting older.

Best regards,
Bo

Hi Bo, I was a single dad for 13 years, and all of my kids were in my mixed, adult/kid campaign.

I have some general thoughts here: http://zhalindor.com/seminarz/intergengaming.pdf­ This is the outline for a seminar that I used to do every year at ORIGINS.

Almost anything that a parent does that allows the care provider to lavish attention on his kids will resonate with them.

We did not always play D&D either. I do not know what your kids' interests are, but there are Superhero games, modern oriented RPGs, etc.

What specific considerations were you thinking about?

In service,

Rich
http://www.drgames.org­
Greg
user 8252584
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 41
Hey, I run games for my sons (now 12 and 14) and their friends, and I got them into it about 4 years ago (whenever 4E came out). Here are the hooks as I see them:

D&D's problem is that it is slow moving compared to video games. 5E will speed up combats, but it will always be comparatively slow. But one thing you can never get in a video game is a real reaction and new conversational or plot direction for anything you do. All computer RPGs have a limited range of responses and further developments, and D&D is limited only by the quality of the players and DM. Plus I think kids like to have the other players in the room interacting, unlike WoW.

If your kids are into fantasy lit, then this is a way to act out some of the stuff they are reading. My kids usually name their PCs after somebody in a fantasy series like the Belgariad.

I think kids also like some of the complexity of the systems, and the mix-and-match of building characters (don't we all).

Good luck!