addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

We Have Tablets Message Board › Thoughts on Apple's iCloud

Thoughts on Apple's iCloud

Niall O.
user 14191145
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Now that WWDC is behind us, the dust is settling. One of my favourite announcements was the new iCloud service. I tried out the iOS 5 preview on my iPad and was impressed to see it deliver on its "PC-Free" feature - installing all my apps from iCloud without syncing to iTunes!

One of the most first things you feel the need for when you start using a tablet is some kind of persistent storage and/or data exchange mechanism. Photos, documents, reading lists, etc. Plenty of startups (DropBox, Instapaper, etc) have built their business around this. Google also have a considerable head-start in this department over Apple with Gmail, Contacts, Market purchases, etc all transparently backed up and stored in their cloud. They even have Google Backup for Android API which has some of the same features as iCloud, although I have yet to see it used in many apps.

It is wonderful to see Apple becoming competitive here!

My big questions at this point:

- Will iCloud have a Web component? All I have seen so far is talk of some crude Windows support. I would love to be able to view my photos, documents, etc through any Web browser.

- Are the APIs going to be open? One of the great selling points of services such as DropBox is that they work cross-platform. I can access my DropBox account from my iPad2 and also from my Android phone. I think many people will have Android and iOS devices. Can we expect interoperability? Linux support?

What do others think - will we see an interoperable iCloud, or is it going to be relegated to the Apple ecosystem?