Donald S.
politicstahl
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 996
My friend David Arnold has a great idea. Because he is so busy, I am writing this for him.

Roughly, the idea is to attack the government sececy wall with so many FOIA requests about so many different subjects that the information obtained will be valuable when combined.Knowing what to hide means knowing what the Truth Movement already knows, and not many government clerks know that. Plus, the more people involved, the more likely we are to hit someone sympathetic who can safely send us what we need. There are millions of questions we can ask. "Who was the "young man" Cheney snapped at?" is one David suggested. I'd like to see the record of William Rodriguez' testimony, or the reason why I can't. David points out two things:
1.) Fees can be waived for noncommercial users.
2.) According to David, a blogger is a journalist, and should qualify for a fee waiver.

I add that we should attempt to avoid duplication of effort, and have different people asking about different matters. To determine that, I suggest that everyone spread this idea and communicate online and on the next conference call(s). Feel free to copy and paste this. Research FOIA online. The sooner we start the sooner the 20 day deadline for answers will be.

At the Citizen's Guide http://www.fas.org/sg...­
we find:
"Requesters must ask for existing records. Requests may have to be carefully written in order to obtain the desired information. Sometimes, an agency will help a requester identify a specific document that contains the information being sought. Other times, a requester may need to be creative when writing a FOIA request in order to identify an existing document or set of documents containing the desired
information.
"There is a second general limitation on FOIA requests. The law requires that each request must reasonably describe the records being sought. This means that a request must be specific enough to permit a professional employee of the agency who is familiar with the subject matter to locate the record in a reasonable period of time.
"Requesters should make requests as specific as possible. If a particular document is required, it should be identified precisely, preferably by date and title. However, a request does not always have to be that specific. A requester who cannot identify a specific record should clearly explain his or
her needs. A requester should make sure, however, that a request is broad enough to include all desired information."
"A third optional item sometimes included in a FOIA request is a request for a waiver or reduction of fees. The 1986 amendments to the FOIA changed the rules for fee waivers. Fees must be waived or reduced if disclosure of the information is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute
significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester. Decisions about granting fee waivers are separate from and different than decisions about the amount of fees that can be charged to a requester."

mark W.
WeAreChange.org
Boston, MA
Post #: 135
i just re posted this for other people to do. i would suggest that anyone reading this should share this information widely.