Big high-resolution images look great but are a big drain on web performance. Don’t resort to squashing image quality for speed. Modern browsers, image formats and best practices offer performance plus high quality. Topics include progressive and interlaced rendering, quality levels, new formats like Webp and JPEG XR, and how to interleave download and rendering across images on a page for speed.
We will cover the following topics:
• Understand JPG and PNG formats and the tradeoffs and differences in time to display for regular, progressive, and interlaced rendering
• Best practices for properly adjusting quality levels, safe removal of metadata, and lossless compression
• Understand the benefits, drawbacks, and major features of new image formats from Google (Webp) and Microsoft (JPEG XR)
• Mechanisms to interleave downloading and rendering of images across a page with multiple images or single images with splits.
About the speaker:
Tuesday Apr 01, 2014
6:00-6:30 – Networking plus come join us for Happy Hour (food and drinks served!)
6:30-7:30 – Presentation, Q&A
3570 Carmel Mountain Rd # 400, San Diego, CA
Invite your friends and colleagues for a night of learning and networking... plus an opportunity to win lots of cool raffle prizes. Reminder: Bring your business cards for the raffle drawing!
• Instart Logic replaces CDNs with intelligent streaming of web content. Users can interact with Web apps 2x faster, even for mobile devices.
• SOASTA’s web and mobile app test automation solution enables developers, QA professionals, and IT Operations teams to test with unprecedented speed, scale and precision.
• Neustar Web Performance offers load testing & website monitoring. A reliable cloud testing solution, it uses both virtual & real web browser monitoring.
• Velocity Conference