add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Raleigh-Durham Web Design Group Message Board General Meetup Talk › I wouldn't bet on this group ever having online meetings.

I wouldn't bet on this group ever having online meetings.

A former member
Post #: 79
I've discussed the online meeting option with Mitch and Pepper extensively. It's obvious both strongly oppose it.

Consider this:
"One reason is that as organizers, our time is limited and we prioritize in-person meetings..."

Who has time to drive around and sit at traffic lights to attend in-person meetings? Much as I'd like to attend, in-person meetings are a 35 mile round trip. I bet it's even more for others...

I ran a trade association years ago and told members that "most members" would rather have luncheon meetings during day time than the evening. Someone asked if my support for daytime meetings wasn't based on feedback only from members who attended daytime meetings.

Since dinner meetings had never been offered nor held, I was asked how could justify the conclusion that "most members" preferred day time meetings. I had no response...

I realized my own preference for daytime meetings blinded me in favor of them. After I stepped down as head of the group, they changed monthly membership meetings to evenings and attendance more than doubled. Then they switched to a combination of both and attendance increased even more.

It doesn't need to be a choice of "either or". There's 600 plus members in this group. Must we assume all 600 members prefer only in-person meetings? Or only online meetings? Is that realistic?

This group is dedicated to "being online" and yet the people running it oppose "being online" for group meetings.

Go ahead and complete the poll. Regardless the response, I wouldn't bet on this group ever having online meetings.
A former member
Post #: 222
I think we need to have an online meeting on how to create an effective online poll! That is AWFUL!

If we could have online lunch-time meetings, I would certainly attend. It is about the only "free" time I have and would be a nice way to lunch and learn.
Roger A.
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 1
On-line meetings, meetups, and webinars all can be helpful, but are not substitutes for meatspace. It just isn't the same thing. I have been meaning to get over to the Panera meetings, but something always seems to come up. A lot of companies are planning lunch meetings now also since it is seen as "free" time.

I would participate in on-line meetings depending on the technology used. I have been in meetings using Adobe Connect that were very successful. I am getting ready to do that right now with the on-line ColdFusion meetup at 6pm. I don't know much about the other technologies, but it would be good to know about them.
Mitch A.
Rolesville, NC
Post #: 173
George, are you volunteering to host?

Seriously, there is high-tech and low-tech, and everything in between. For the meetings I moderate, it is usually a low tech social gathering, perhaps with a speaker... a Meetup. Pepper offered to meet up with people over lunch.

The other organizers work with other meetup groups, have their own styles and have made their own contributions to this one. So, no I'm not opposed to people trying out their own meeting ideas, and I admit to some interest.

I really would like to see how people respond to that snarky little poll, but that doesn't mean it has to be the go-no-go decision maker, if someone wants to step up to "be there" regularly as a moderator.

Happy Holidays!

A former member
Post #: 80
> George, are you volunteering to host?

Yes I'd like to see online meetings about web design. I admit I'd like to have more opportunity to learn about web design without having to endure an 18 mile trip (the first half) during drive time traffic.

And yes, I'll try my hand at hosting online meetings. I can justify the time I'd otherwise waste fighting drive time traffic. I have some experience as a organizer so being a co-organizer is possible. And I invite other members who'd like to see some online meetings to help get online meetings in place.

Would picking me to host online meetings be a smart move? Maybe, maybe not. I have little-to-no experience hosting online meetings. But I can always learn. I recently became aware of a bunch of online meeting software that's free.

Among this group's 600 members does anyone else want to add some online meetings so all meetings are not always in-person? If so, are any of those same members willing to help host online meetings?

I'm a marketing guy and experience has shown me repeatedly that people don't often do what they say they will. I asked Mitch about an online alternative and I got Mitch's answer. When I replied in a public forum the way I did, Mitch was right to do what he did. Mitch asked if I want online meetings bad enough am I willing to step up and host online meetings myself?

So yes. I'll "put my money where my mouth is". I'll do what I say I want to do. Will anyone else in this group step up too? If no other members step up to help then maybe Mitch is right and I'm wrong. Then maybe it's true that the vast majority of 600+ members prefer to attend in-person meetings.

But if that's so true why do so few members attend in-person meetings?
Mitch A.
Rolesville, NC
Post #: 174
George, there were two replies to the poll so far that said they would "put skin in the game". Several others said they'd attend, either ambivalently or positively. So there is a kernel of interest there at least.

This is a peer-to-peer forum and I view myself as a caretaker in it, not an institutional owner-operator. So if you and/or others are willing to step up, then of course we should try it out.

BTW, 600 members is an historical accident of Meetup's membership management abilities. The number of active people is probably less than half that. But that begs the question of how to get more people actively involved. Perhaps on-line meetings are a way to do that.

It would certainly be self defeating to put roadblocks up to participation. I may be busy, but people willing to put in effort are always worth my time. So let's do a little planning and see if a story comes together.
A former member
Post #: 81
There's always people sitting on the sidelines watching the game. Whether they play the game depends on if anyone else plays. If no one starts the game, good chance it never gets played. Are those who indicated a willingness to contribute identifiable? If they can be steered to me somehow be glad to follow up to see if they're "players" or not. If they are, I'll see if we can "get the ball rolling". Regards, George
A former member
Post #: 82
Thanks for the phone call Mitch. Good to talk live and clarify. As current and past organizer, glad to assist with determining level of participation in online meetings.

Will members participate/attend online meetings? Topics can include Web Design as well as Web Marketing, SEO & other related topics. Can't determine attendance until meetings are actually on the schedule. Let's discuss after holidays. Seasons greetings. George