The April meetup will be mixture of new discussions, presentations that couldn't fit into the last meetup (which went on longer than expected - apologies), and an excellent opportunity to have a beer and a slab of pizza with link minded Drupal magicians.
Before we look over the agenda, I need to make a short shout-out request:
Who here wants to give a presentation on Twig, Symphony, PHP with Drupal, or HTML5? These are the topics we have a lot of interest in as per our in-group surveying, and it'd be excellent if someone with expert comprehension on these topics wanted to give us a 10 minute overview for the June meetup.
So... what's going on then in April? The theme is human resources. Though it's debate-able that we as Drupalers are actually part cyborg, we are still indispensable to the construction of the internet and this meetup will celebrate our knowledge as well as further market it to the wider world.
WHEN: 2nd April, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
WHERE: Catalyst IT Level 3
- Newbie spotlight - An optional opportunity for new people to the group to say a quick intro and tell us a bit about what you're doing with Drupal. Are you looking for work? Are any of the organisations at the meetups hiring? Are you short on Drupal buddies or looking for a hand with a project?
- Looking for work in Drupal? - Are people finding this easy? Difficult? What do people think the employment market is like in NZ currently for Drupal? Is it worth exporting our skills internationally as a group, and making NZ known for this? This is an opportunity for people looking for work to introduce themselves, and the best opportunity in Wellington for HR recruiters, web companies, and other Drupal-involved organisations to come and discover some of the best Drupal web development talent Wellington has to offer.
- Module highlight - This is a new repeating part of our agenda that we will have during every meetup. It is where those of us who have modules we'd like to talk about take the stage tell us a bit about the module that they are currently in love with and what they've used it for.
- Drupal Ladders (re-scheduled from last meetup) - Short presentation by Sod Oscarfonso (Aeroshop) about the Drupal Ladder, why it is important to the community, and why we should all be using it / getting involved.
- DrupalCON Syndey session overview - An opportunity for attendees of the DrupalCON Sydney to give an overview of a particular session that they gained knowledge from. This month, James Scott will be speaking.
- PIZZA - vege, gluten free available
- Commerce module (re-scheduled from last meetup) - As one of Drupal 7's most important modules for eCommerce, this is a sub-system a lot of have willingly (or not) been directed to use in recent projects. Have you encountered any interesting integration issues with Commerce? What are some case studies that you have used it for? Some of us have looked at using it a wide range of purposes - from subscription managers and quote generators to product constructors and pay-per-view video sites.
- General Drupal Q & A - Need to tap into the wider wisdom of the group? This is the most powerful function of the meetups and worth taking advantage of. Useful for newbies and veterans alike to get peer feedback, insights and leads.
ONGOING AGENDA: (These are open discussion points that anyone can contribute to at any stage and we'll also bring these up at the end of each meetup for people who stick around).
- Topics for future meetups. Have something that you're dying to discuss with the community? Come loaded with discussion topics and we can take them all down for future agenda points. What are the big issues you face in your organisation with Drupal, and what are you doing about it?
Topics currently identified for future meetups are:
- Drupal 8
- PHP 5.4 Overview
- Using HTML5
Feel free to help us add to this list! Email your thoughts to [masked]
- HR Needs for Wellington Drupal. Does your business have too much or too little work? Are you on the hunt for Drupal talent or brimming with it and not being acknowledged? Are you finding that you have to turn away Drupal projects due to small scalability, or are you a young designer/developer yearning for recognition and new projects? This is a chance to pool our thoughts, resources and where relevant, identify new collaborations.
- drupal.org.nz - A weekly opportunity to discuss anything relating to the community site we maintain.
REFRESHMENTS: Beer and pizza are provided by the very lovely Sparks Interactive. Thanks Sparks! You guys are awesome! If only everyone else were as good at providing beer and pizza as you...
And thanks Catalyst! Without you guys, there is no meeting room - a sad thought indeed. So cheers to Catalyst and Sparks for supporting the Wellington Drupal community, we all really appreciate it! :)
CONTRIBUTE: Want to share something specific with the group? These events are always open for people to take the stage, run a presentation or anything that they think might be interest to the wider group. Get in touch! Organisation of these events is provided by Xequals. Please contact us if you'd like contribute to an event.
See you there :)