Hi everyone. Thanks for a great turn out to the last event and welcome to all the new attendees who are appearing - we are here to make your lives easier! These events are for veterans and newbies alike to get help with their Drupal websites.
A lot of really great collaborations, creative projects, business relationships and community interactions have already been spawned by these events. We started by networking, building our community site (drupal.org.nz) and now we are talking about Drupal Ladders and organising pro-active contributions back to the Drupal.org global community (thanks Aeroshop - perhaps we can start planning some logistics around this in May).
It is very refreshing to be among so many motivated, altruistic people - from such varied backgrounds. What we all have in common is a sense of social responsibility, open-source ethos and AWESOMENESS.
Apologies to the person(s) who weren't able to get in to the building in the April meetup - we have ensured that this never happens again, and from now on there will always be a sign on the door with the phone number of the Catalyst employee hosting us.
If you are serious about Drupal and in Wellington, then this event is where you need to be.
So... what's going on then in May? The theme is centered around learning more about Twig and Drupal South - with all the usual fun bits like the module highlight, general QA, and a brief pres on the latest Drupal adoption statistics. Come loaded with technical questions, case studies, and tid-bits of knowledge to share with other members of the community.
WHEN: 7th May, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
WHERE: Catalyst IT Level 3
- Newbie spotlight - An optional opportunity for new people to the group to say a quick intro and tell us a bit about what you're doing with Drupal. Are you looking for work? Are any of the organisations at the meetups hiring? Are you short on Drupal buddies or looking for a hand with a project?
- Module highlight - This is a new repeating part of our agenda that we will have during every meetup. It is where those of us who have modules we'd like to talk about take the stage tell us a bit about the module that they are currently in love with and what they've used it for.
- Twig - Chris Tombleson from Signify is going to be giving us a short presentation on Twig - the template engine which drives Drupal 8 theming. Something we should all be actively up-skilling in. Thanks Chris!
- DrupalCON Syndey session overview - An optional opportunity for attendees of the DrupalCON Sydney 2013 to give an overview of a particular session that they gained knowledge from.
PIZZA - vege, gluten free available (if you have special dietary requirements, PLEASE let us know in advance by emailing [masked])
- CMS Stats - Alex will give a brief 5 minute presentation of stats and info-graphics updating us all on where Drupal is placed in terms of global usage and adoption. It's always good to have an update on Drupal's growth!
- Drupal South - We welcome back Josh Waihi who will be talking to us about the Drupal South event, how we can be involved, and why we should be excited about this uniquely New Zealand Drupal event.
- General Drupal Q & A - Need to tap into the wider wisdom of the group? This is the most powerful function of the meetups and worth taking advantage of. Useful for newbies and veterans alike to get peer feedback, insights and leads.
ONGOING AGENDA: (These are open discussion points that anyone can contribute to at any stage and we'll also bring these up at the end of each meetup for people who stick around).
- Topics for future meetups. Have something that you're dying to discuss with the community? Come loaded with discussion topics and we can take them all down for future agenda points. What are the big issues you face in your organisation with Drupal, and what are you doing about it? We need to keep adding to this list!
Ongoing topics in the Drupal eco-system currently identified as talking points are:
- Drupal 8
- PHP 5.4 Overview
- Using HTML5
Feel free to help us add to this list! Email your thoughts to [masked]
- HR Needs for Wellington Drupal. Does your business have too much or too little work? Are you on the hunt for Drupal talent or brimming with it and not being acknowledged? Are you finding that you have to turn away Drupal projects due to small scalability, or are you a young designer/developer yearning for recognition and new projects? This is a chance to pool our thoughts, resources and where relevant, identify new collaborations.
- drupal.org.nz - A weekly opportunity to discuss anything relating to the community site we maintain.
REFRESHMENTS: Beer and pizza are provided by the very lovely Sparks Interactive. Thanks Sparks! You guys are awesome! If only everyone else were as good at providing beer and pizza as you...
And thanks Catalyst! Without you guys, there is no meeting room - a sad thought indeed. So cheers to Catalyst and Sparks for supporting the Wellington Drupal community, we all really appreciate it! :)
CONTRIBUTE: Want to share something specific with the group? These events are always open for people to take the stage, run a presentation or anything that they think might be interest to the wider group. Get in touch! Organisation of these events is provided by Xequals. Please contact us if you'd like contribute to an event.
See you there :)