With both pizza and Drupal (not evening mentioning beer) being at all-time historical peaks for popularity all across the world, we once again get together to marry these perfect partners.
So... what's going on then in August? More of the same and lots of the new - we're talking new Drupal case studies, engaging group dialogue, technical Q&A sessions where people can provoke the group for insights, and some stimulating presentation content to top it off.
NOTE: If anyone wants to give a presentation or case study and doesn't see themselves on the agenda, please email me straight away and we'll fit you in or schedule you for the next month. The same goes if you have a theme or topic on Drupal that you really think needs bringing up - just email me your thoughts.
WHEN: 6th August, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
WHERE: Catalyst IT Level 3
- Newbie spotlight - An optional opportunity for new people to the group to say a quick intro and tell us a bit about what you're doing with Drupal. Are you looking for work? Are any of the organisations at the meetups hiring? Are you short on Drupal buddies or looking for a hand with a project?
- Module highlight - This is a new repeating part of our agenda that we will have during every meetup. It is where those of us who have modules we'd like to talk about take the stage tell us a bit about the module that they are currently in love with and what they've used it for.
- Drupal mentoring - Victoria will be speaking to us about her experiences with Drupal Core Mentoring (http://drupalmentoring.org) and sharing with us what she learnt in this interesting 5 - 10min talk.
PIZZA - vege, gluten free available (if you have special dietary requirements, PLEASE let us know in advance by emailing [masked])
- PHP 5.4 Overview - Hugh is going to present to us for 20 mins with a Q&A session afterwards on the capabilities of PHP 5.4, the differences from previous versions and how this relates to Drupal. A technical but accessible talk recommended for people who need to learn more about coding as well as veterans who want to share their knowledge with the group.
- Website case study hotseat - A new activity where we share showcases of theming accomplishments - our own or designers that we admire, and generally talk about everything that goes into this all-essential side of what makes a good website. This is not entirely Drupal specific conversation - it is about what makes brilliant websites these days, and then secondly how we can use Drupal to achieve them. Any one is welcome to take the computer seat and have a couple of minutes to do a quick showcase. Short (less than 3mins), interesting (and relevant) video content also allowed.
- This week, Alex will get us started by going on a 5 minute rapid tour of some internationally recognised creatively designed websites.
- General Drupal Q & A - If we have extra time to fill, we will do so by opening the floor to a general Q & A. Need to tap into the wider wisdom of the group? In a general sense this is the most powerful function of the meetups and worth taking advantage of. Useful for newbies and veterans alike to get peer feedback, insights and leads.
ONGOING AGENDA: (These are open discussion points that anyone can contribute to at any stage and we'll also bring these up at the end of each meetup for people who stick around).
- Topics for future meetups. Have something that you're dying to discuss with the community? Come loaded with discussion topics and we can take them all down for future agenda points. What are the big issues you face in your organisation with Drupal, and what are you doing about it?
We need to keep adding to this list!
Ongoing topics in the Drupal eco-system currently identified as talking points are:
- Drupal 8
- PHP 5.4
- Using HTML5
- Building NZ's Drupal economy
- Website showcases
Feel free to help us add to this list! Email your thoughts to [masked]
- HR Needs for Wellington Drupal. Does your business have too much or too little work? Are you on the hunt for Drupal talent or brimming with it and not being acknowledged? Are you finding that you have to turn away Drupal projects due to small scalability, or are you a young designer/developer yearning for recognition and new projects? This is a chance to pool our thoughts, resources and where relevant, identify new collaborations.
- drupal.org.nz - A monthly opportunity to discuss anything relating to the community site we maintain.
REFRESHMENTS: Beer and pizza are provided by the very lovely Sparks Interactive. Thanks Sparks! You guys are awesome! If only everyone else were as good at providing beer and pizza as you... you have a special place in our heart.
And thanks Catalyst! Without you guys, there is no meeting room - a sad thought indeed. So cheers to Catalyst and Sparks for supporting the Wellington Drupal community, we all really appreciate it! :)
CONTRIBUTE: Want to share something specific with the group? These events are always open for people to take the stage, run a presentation or anything that they think might be interest to the wider group. Get in touch! Organisation of these events is provided by Xequals. Please contact us if you'd like contribute to an event.
See you there :)