Hope you're all having an excellent summer!
The sun may still be bright and the beach sands hot, but for a lot of us it's now time to get some serious web dev done.
This meetup is our first of the year and is a chance to get back into the swing of things. The event will have all the usual things - including an emphasis on providing time for newbies to introduce themselves and a thorough Q&A session where they can test the group with their Drupal issues.
As per normal we'll also take down topics for discussion in later meetups. If you have a particularly poignant issue you'd like addressed (from memory at the December meetup, there were a few specific talking points people wanted raised) post it here and we'll allot some time to discuss it in this meetup or the next.
We're aware some of you who are going to DrupalCON Syndey (Feb 6 -9) will be unable to make it - a pity, but at least we'll have the benefit of your experience on the first Tuesday of March. For those of you that can make it, come along!
WHEN: 5th February, 6pm - 8:30pm
WHERE: Catalyst IT Level 3
- Newbie spotlight - an optional opportunity for new people to the group to say a quick intro and tell us a bit about what you're doing with Drupal. Are you looking for work? Are any of the organisations at the meetups hiring? Are you short on Drupal buddies or looking for a hand with a project?
- Drupal theming - unsurprisingly this is still one of the biggest discussion points for a lot of us. Need to learn from some of the best themers in Wellington? Make sure you are at the meetup. This talking point will segway into our general Q&A.
- General Drupal Q & A - need to tap into the wider wisdom of the group? This is the most powerful function of the meetups and worth taking advantage of. Useful for newbies and veterans alike to get peer feedback, insights and leads.
- Finishing off drupal.net.nz - our online registrar community project. We need to form a small focus group that can finish the project to an acceptable level of quality. Have some spare time and looking to gain some recognition among your peers? Or are you just awesome and willing to share some of your talent with us? This is the perfect opportunity, while also being a pro-active, useful thing for the community to have.
- Sharing presentations and ideas for 2013 - moving into this new year, what would you like to see at the meetups? What are the big topics to be discussed this year? Who in our community would like to share presentations with us about their Drupal projects? These events rely on people being willing to stand up and share their experiences with others.
ONGOING AGENDA: (These are open discussion points that anyone can contribute to at any stage and we'll also bring these up at the end of each meetup for people who stick around).
- Topics for future meetups. Have something that you're dying to discuss with the community? Come loaded with discussion topics and we can take them all down for future agenda points. What are the big issues you face in your organisation with Drupal, and what are you doing about it?
- HR Needs for Wellington Drupal. Does your business have too much or too little work? Are you on the hunt for Drupal talent or brimming with it and not being acknowledged? Are you finding that you have to turn away Drupal projects due to small scalability, or are you a young designer/developer yearning for recognition and new projects? This is a chance to pool our thoughts, resources and where relevant, identify new collaborations.
- drupal.net.nz - updating to be current for all of our benefit, and running as our new community site.
REFRESHMENTS: Beer and pizza are provided by the very lovely Sparks Interactive. Thanks Sparks! You guys are awesome! If only everyone else were as good at providing beer and pizza as you...
And thanks Catalyst! Without you guys, there is no meeting room - a sad thought indeed. So cheers to Catalyst and Sparks for supporting the Wellington Drupal community, we all really appreciate it! :)
CONTRIBUTE: Want to share something specific with the group? These events are always open for people to take the stage, run a presentation or anything that they think might be interest to the wider group. Get in touch! Organisation of these events is provided by Xequals. Please contact us if you'd like contribute to an event.
See you there :)