Wellington Drupal Meetup Message Board › Willie Seabrook Tunisia Presentation Review

Willie Seabrook Tunisia Presentation Review

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi guys

Thanks heaps for your time tonight, I really appreciate you all helping me find my way with how I do this. Also a special thanks to Alex who gave me time beforehand and tried to drive it to a productive outcome.

I hope my presentation was interesting but based on that first experience, I think I took the totally the wrong approach and it wasn't very good. I spoke of a collaborative approach but then proceeded to basically give a one way rushed lecture, trying to speed my way through 2 hours of information in 30 minutes (and arriving at over one hour), whilst everyone is tired from working all day and allowing almost zero audience feedback. Totally not cool.

So, for my second test to the next group, I think I'll try a completely different formula.

1. Rather than a one way rushed lecture, I'll switch to a Q&A format plus a PDF document of all the information with a nice table of contents so people can easily find information that interests them (e.g a page on the revolution, a Living Costs page for Freelancers and a Commercial Opportunities page for Agency owners). That will be emailed out to the group before the meetup, and I'll also send the meetup organizer physical copies to hand out on the night. Via a service like http://www.l-mail.com...­ or if they have good printer and time I'll send them some money so they can print out some copies.

2. The presentation will become images *only* and play on auto in the background. It will have images from the revolution, of all the beautiful places and things in Tunisia and the coworking space and my apartment, so that while the discussion runs, people can absorb both what Tunisia is in general (the images of the country and the people) and what it would mean for them when they come (an example apartment where they might be living and the coworking space they would be working from). This will play in the background while the discussion happens.

3. So while the images are playing, I'll do a 20 minute Q&A, where people can ask me questions on what *they* are interested in, based on what they read in the dossier. That could head down any road, the key point being that the audience will drive it. If people are shy on asking questions, I'll survey the audience to see what the weighting is (e.g mostly freelancing coders, mostly project managers, mostly people looking for adventure or people looking for commercial opportunities etc) and then just talk to a topic relevant to those members that I'm particularly passionate about.

And once again, thank you for your time. Any feedback would be great (you can contact me using my details below). And BTW, this process of trying and failing and trying a completely different angle, is one of the most awesome and exciting aspects of operating in a challenging environment and why every day is rewarding!

Cheers
Willie

Email: willie@angrycactus.biz
Mobile: +216 92 778 550
Alex M.
user 14535888
Group Organizer
Wellington, NZ
Post #: 4
Hey Willie

Wow - what an intense, and in-depth overview! Much like your presentation itself. I thought it was interesting, fun, and provoked a lot of personal curiosity into the region you're working in. A lot of your self-analysis, though harsh, clicks onto some relevant issues that could be used to create improved presentations. Engagement, stimulating content, and a consistent fluid pace are essential for conscripting peoples imaginations.

I also think a clear financial incentive has to be in place - I know that you're coming at it from an altruistic perspective, but if doing business in the region is so interesting and potentially lucrative that you want to build your own business there, I think people will be wary of getting involved unless there is at least a guaranteed subsistence wage with clear job opportunities within your company to help you grow it. From this angle, you could look at pursuing partnerships with companies as well as individuals who care about what happens in the world and also want to grow it economically.

Overall though your passion, enthusiasm and self-awareness are all really evident. These skills inspire interest as well as giving you a clear mandate in following your dreams and enlisting others. I think you are coming from a strong position, can tweak your presentation to be really effective, and have the audacity to pull this off.

Interested to hear how your other presentations go, absolutely wishing you the best in your endeavors, and let's catch up again on Skype sometime soon.

Alex Matthews
Project Manager & Communications
Xequals Ltd
www.xequals.co.nz