December 12, 2012 · 1:00 PM
Boost New Media
How it works
Each session will have a facilitator who will be responsible for timekeeping to ensure everything runs smoothly.
The first 10 minutes will be general chit chat, during this time anyone can propose a topic by writing it on a sticky and putting it on the wall.
- Everyone offers topics they are interested in discussing by writing them on index cards (or sticky notes).
- Everyone presents his or her topic as an Elevator Pitch (max 1 minute per topic).
- Use dot voting to vote on each of the topics. Each person gets two votes. You can only vote once per topic.
- Prepare three columns on a table or wall. Call them “Planned”, “In Progress” and “Done”. Add all topics to the “Planned” column, with those that received the highest votes at the top.
- Discuss each topic in turn. Move the index card for the topic into the “In Progress” column. Initially, ask the proposer to explain the topic, then go round the table to give an opportunity for everyone to provide an initial comment, then open discussion.
- When the topic is done, move on to the next one. The topic proposer decides when the topic is done, and moves the index card to the “Done” column. If someone disagrees, then s/he can raise a new topic. Expect to discuss 3-4 topics over the space of an hour or so.
- Topics will be timeboxed to 15 minutes.
- At the end of the overall Lean Coffee session, run a quick retrospective. What did you like? What didn’t you like? What are ideas for improvement?