The course is basically along a route march which was done by the US Marines when they were at Paekakariki during WW2 so that adds a historic dimension. It is approximately 13.4 kms with an overall rise of about 300 metres. It follows roads, bush and clay tracks and a farm road and there are spectacular views along the way. You can enter as a walker or a runner. You can enter online at enteronline.co.nz.
• This 13+ km charity event, organised by the Kapiti Joggers and Walkers, takes place at Whareroa Farm north of Paekakariki on Sunday 26th May 2013
• To reach the venue from the south, take the Queen Elizabeth Park exit off SH1 north of Paekakariki, turn right under the highway and then second left off the roundabout. From the north take the Queen Elizabeth Park exit off SH1 and then second left off the roundabout.
• There is plenty of parking at the venue and toilets are available.
• Standard online entry at www.enteronline.co.nz closes at 10.00pm on Friday 24 May. Entry after this time and on the day is $25. Be early if you are entering on the day.
• Registration opens at 8.00 am in the Whareroa Shelter building.
• The race briefing for walkers will be at 8.50 am with the start at 9.00 am. If you have entered as a walker you must walk all the way.
• The race briefing for runners will be at 9.50 am with the start at 10.00 am.
• The course is well marshalled, coned, taped and flagged. (Details will be provided at the briefing.)
• There are two drink stations, however carry extra fluid if you feel you might need it.
• Dress according to the weather: parts of the course are over 250m above sea level. To comply with DOC requirements, please ensure that your shoes are clean and free of mud and seeds.
• Roads will be open to traffic, so please follow the instructions given at the briefing and by marshalls.
• If you have a problem on the course and cannot continue, advise the nearest marshall. If you see another participant in need of help, please provide assistance. The Wellington Free Ambulance will be in attendance.
• On the zigzag track down from Campbell’s Mill Road into Whareroa Farm please take care as the surface is stony and you may encounter mountain bikers coming up.
• No dogs are allowed on the course because the latter part travels through a working farm.
• After the event, head under the highway, across the railway line and through the gates of Queen Elizabeth Park to the tramway building near the tramway terminus. There is plenty of parking available. You will be able to collect your finisher’s certificate and see whether you have won a spot prize. There will be hot soup and a roll available for competitors on presentation of their race numbers. For non-competitors there is a $1 charge for soup.
Results will be published on http://www.marinenz.com/