The Wellington Tramping Group Message Board › Tramping Group Update

Tramping Group Update

Jaana
user 10542697
Group Organizer
Wellington, NZ
Hello fellow trampers!

It’s been a while that we got together at Southern Cross to plan future trips. And we’ve also got a large number of new members – so I thought it’s time for a little update!

There are a number of suggestions on the meetup site: http://www.meetup.com/WellingtonTrampingGroup/­ You can also add your own ideas if you are searching for companion on a trip you always wanted to do! I have just made a few changes to make it easier for everyone to schedule meetings – check it out!

I would also like to encourage you to host one of the currently suggested trips if you are keen. Just let me know and I’ll set you up to become the organiser for that trip. I won’t be able to host any in the upcoming few months… The doctor recommended not carrying a 15kg backpack through the mountains while being pregnant :)

So basically – everyone can suggest and host trips. And everyone can take over one of the suggested trips. If you do want to host please make sure that you organise everyone to get there and back. You don’t need a car yourself – but someone will just need to make sure everyone knows when and where to be and car pools can be organised through the comments on meetup. You’ll also need to make sure that there is at least one person in the group who either knows the trip or who is experienced enough with New Zealand backcountry to help navigating… We don’t want anyone to get lost! Last but not least also make sure everyone knows what to expect in terms of conditions and what gear is required. Have at least one map and one first aid kit for the group – and obviously individual gear such as boots, waterproof and warm cloths and enough water and food. Don’t be shy to send someone home if they are not appropriately equipped! I’ll rather have a complaint of someone than injured or lost groups!

Have a great time out there! And I might do the one or other daytrip later in spring if possible… until then I hope we’ll find a lot of volunteers to continue!

Cheers

Jaana