addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Jazz Jam #42

For maximum enjoyment of all, there will be Instrument Limits so that we can have 3 Ensembles playing 3 sets of 2 Tunes:

Piano - 3 (Bring a Keyboard and the limit is OFF!)

Vocals - 3

Guitar - 6

Horns/Wind - 6

Drums - 1 (In Addition to House Drummer)

Bass - 2 (In addition to House Bassist)

Everyone else can come anyway to watch and support the others. There is no limit to being in the audience!


Show up and have some fun!

The routine: Sign up for Jams on the sheet and we'll call everyone by ensemble group.

Each group gets to play 2 tunes in a Set. Please discuss intro/endings/tempo/style ahead of time to avoid restarts.

Vocalists get to sing one tune per set. Always bring music in your key (bring at least 5 leadsheets). Although note that horns may need to transpose so complex arrangements may not work.

Other than that, the group decides what to play (well, hopefully it's Jazz). And if you call a tune, better know how to play the head :)

All levels welcome.

To improve your experience, if you're new, just watch first so you understand the interaction. Maybe you don't sit in till the next jam. There's a list of common tunes up top. A little preparation on some frequently called tunes will save the day.


Join or login to comment.

  • malcolm

    Have fun with hypnosis in April at (To be announced for 3rd Tuesday) in Playa del Rey . . . . . Malcolm

    April 1, 2013

    • Richard A.

      You trying to mesmerize musicians? Need stronger drugs, and btw stop poaching from nearby events. Not cool

      April 1, 2013

  • Alexis

    Hope to make the next one!

    April 1, 2013

  • Otto S.

    I'm new! So I'll probably be sitting in to see how you guys do stuff.

    I play the trombone. Not so great at it on jazz; but that's why I'm here to improve.

    March 14, 2013

    • Otto S.

      I can't make. I have a reunion thing that day. I'll make it next time!

      March 30, 2013

  • Ray N.

    Also new as far as performance goes, but have been playing my instrument for some time now , 35+ years . I play the Chromatic Harmonica with a 98% Stevie Wonder influence. The remaining 2% is from playing to a lot of SonnyBoy Williamson. Currently , most of my time is spent on trying to capture that Smooth Jazz Sax sound on my Chrom. Only been on a stage once and that was years ago, these days the only stage I've been on is GarageBand.

    March 27, 2013

Your organizer's refund policy for Jazz Jam #42

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy