8970 W 50 Rd, South Branch, MI
Meetup at Dobson Bridge for a paddle down to Peterson Bridge. Depending on the Weather we may take it down to low, but for now this is the plan.
Experienced paddlers only. Winter paddling gear required. I will be changing the actual meetup location, so be sure to read the update emails. I will send out an email every time I change this page.
Winter Gear Required:
• Complete change of clothing if you are not in a wet suit or dry suit.
• No cotton, not even your underwear. Wool long underwear is preferred. Merino Wool is actually state of the art in base layer technology.
• Base Layer - light synthetic or wool layer with moisture wicking capability.
• I wear a two piece merino wool set, but my spare is under armor winter III
• Mid layer - roomy, warm and loose enough for paddling especially arm travel.
• Shell layer - roomy, waterproof, wind resistant
• Feet! - keep them warm and dry, remember the stationary premise of kayaking makes your feet vulnerable to cold.
• Hands! - waterproof, warm, able to grip a paddle. Bring two complete sets of hand gear. If somebody has a good solution for that please share it with the group. I am still experimenting.
• Head! - warm, ear covering, one of two pieces of head gear you bring.
I have had the misfortune of going into the water on an ice paddle. My advice, be ready for it.