West Seattle Board Games Message Board › Holiday/End of the Year Gaming Party

Holiday/End of the Year Gaming Party

Shawn
user 80264132
Seattle, WA
Post #: 17
Hello,

I don't know if everyone will see this but I wanted to throw it out there that I would love to have a large gaming evening to celebrate this group and all that we have done this year.

I have the idea but none of the logistics covered. I wanted to start a discussion to see if there is a place that would work for everyone and a date to get together. I'm guessing probably December 14 or possibly 21st to do this. Maybe do a small White Elephant gift exchange there (get a small game and wrap it up when you come). What does everyone think?

-Shawn
Aerin
user 109264222
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Sounds like fun! Either of those days would work for me. Other than Uptown, Beveridge Place is good for gaming, but is 21+ and could be crowded. If we wanted to rent a space for the day, it looks like the Fauntleroy Schoolhouse is pretty affordable. http://www.fauntleroy...­
Nicole
nkmcalli
Seattle, WA
Post #: 14
Sounds great to me!
Dawn
user 2687773
Renton, WA
Post #: 15
Sounds fun. I could do either date. It would be great if we could have it somewhere where we can all bring treats to share.

As far as the white elephant thing, I love gift exchanges but I think clarity around expectations is needed. I've done white elephant exchanges where most of the gifts were gag gifts. I've been to some where they were all re-gifts, and others where there was a hodgepodge of gag, re-, and nice gifts. White elephant typically doesn't mean nice, new, store-bought gifts (not that we couldn't do that), but there's usually someone not in the know who winds up feeling duped. Anyway, just saying it'd be nice to all be on the same page. If we want to go with a game theme, we could regift games we own but don't play anymore (I see it now: someone brings CandyLand as a gag gift, LOL!). Anyway, just throwing ideas out there.
Nicole
nkmcalli
Seattle, WA
Post #: 15
Love the idea of making it all games we don't play anymore. That could be fun. :)
Roseanne M
user 12291046
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
Dec 21st works for us. I like the idea of a white elephant exchange of games. A limit with regard to the original cost of the game, or bundle of games, could be set. Say ... minimum of $20 and maximum of ???

A few months ago, I spoke with the afternoon manager at Chaco Canyon (3770 SW Alaska St) about playing board games there. He said that they LOVE board games and would be willing to reserve their back room for a board game meeting, no charge. The tables are not as big as those at Uptown. Check it out????

Roseanne
Nicole
nkmcalli
Seattle, WA
Post #: 17
Roseanne, that's huge news about Chaco Canyon. The tables in that back room are decent, and there are closing doors so that we could be totally separated from the rest of the customers. I've looked at their rates multiple times - wish they would have said except free for board gamers. smile
Noah Chriss
user 13919180
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
I just got a reply back from Eric in regards to my query about using the Delridge Uptown Espresso (which is ordinarily closed on Saturday night)

"We would love to welcome the group. No charge. However we can only stage this on 12/21.

Alex Barbieri (copied) will lead the event form an Uptown perspective as I will be out of town. He we also be the guy that is in the store day to day teaching games and educating the public about our hobby. We could run this till 11 or 12 PM. We are checking on allowing alcohol. We may NOT be able to do this. You are all welcome to start setting up at 5 PM - and food is welcome."

I think the Uptown Espresso would be a great way to kick off Eric and Alex's project of creating a gaming cafe at that location.
Laura Walton Allen
user 74249342
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
Oh, this is awesome! I have totally missed this thread until now. :-)

Yes, Phil and I can make the 21st, so count us in. I love gift exchanges, too. If we end up at a venue that allows us to bring in food, I'll definitely contribute some snacks or dessert.
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 628
I have Android Netrunner scheduled to run on the 21st in the afternoon, but if this starts in the evening that might work out. Otherwise I could probably reschedule Netrunner.

Of the locations mentioned:

Chaco Canyon - don't know anything about this, but it sounds promising - looks like it closes at 9 PM though

Beveridge Place Pub - actually not a very good place for gaming, tables are small, place is relatively dark which makes it hard to read cards, only advantage would be the alcohol

Uptown Expresso (West Seattle junction) - this old venue is fine, unless we want to bring in food or alcohol or just try a new location, closes at 11 PM on Saturday

Uptown Expresso (Delridge) - Would be promising if they can open only for us. However, if the place closes at 6 PM every day this wouldn't work for most future events